Disturbing News

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Michael, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

What are you talking about? Is this not the Guess that Movie Thread??:rofl ::

2. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Michael,

I was just wondering about your dilemna with the irritation. Have you found the culprit and is the redness gone? I was very interested to hear what you narrowed the problem down to, as I have suffered through similar problems, just not as long as yours seemed to last.

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ron, thanks for asking! Yeah, I found the culprit...WETSHAVING!! Different days, different shade of red. Some are only pink. This morning I used GFT Coconut (you know, the unscented stuff :D), '49 SS with one of JoAnna's Sharp blade (thanks again!) followed by Thayer's Lavender and T&H Grafton ASB. Not REALLY red (not like before), but still pink. Hell, it's still pink NOW and I shaved 12 hours ago!!!

Oh, and I didn't even get a particularly close shave since I was trying so hard not to irritate.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll break out the Norelco!!!!! :eek:

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Sure it's not high blood pressure from trying to get a BBS shave? :D

5. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Sorry to hear things aren't much better. It seems I get irritation easily, so I'm now shaving every 1-1/2 to 2 days and the irritation is practically gone. My job allows me to shave on an extended schedule like that; not sure if yours does.

This has helped me more than anything. In addition, I know which creams produce an irritation free shave, so I tend to use them often. I have grown tired of buying so many different soaps and creams and finding they cause irritation. I am narrowing down my cream and soap rotation to creams I know that really agree with me.

It turns out I prefer creams over soaps, since they seem to offer more cushion and/or protection. Kind of strange, when I used the canned goo, I would use only one kind [Edge Clean Scent Gel] and I was totally happy with having only one cream/scent.

I love my DE shaving, but I wouldn't hesitate to use my Gillette Sensor exclusively if that's what it took to get irritation free shaves. For me, it's whatever works!

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I've about decided it's probably technique for me. The chin area is usually redder than anywhere else and since I apply lather to "anywhere else" as well as my chin, pretty much HAS to be technique, blades or razor. I'm using the least agressive razor I own, so I don't think that's it. Seems to be a slight difference between the Sharps and Feathers, though I'm not convinced the Feathers are the meat grinders everyone seems to think they are.

Too many years with the M3 perhaps. Bad habits. I actually shaved again this evening after that last post (Salter's Citrus, '49 SS w/ Sharps, B&B Finest and Musgo AS). Damn near perfect. Beat's me, my friend!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

But I enjoy it too much to give up! Who'd a thought we'd be saying we actually ENJOYED shaving?! Go figure!

7. fritz

fritz New Member

Well, it's been nearly a week. Any progress? Redness now gone?

As to technique, are you using a good prep? Have you read Kyle's articles at: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9745
    and at: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4018

and have you tried any of those things?

I've also found that an "undercoat" of something with glycerin (could be just a few drops of pure gylcerin spread over your wet face, or a body lotion containing glycerin and other lubricants) just before each lathering will really make your razor glide without scraping.

And razor angle? Are you using 3-4 passes or trying to get it all in one pass plus a touch-up? That can hurt!

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Thanks for asking, Fritz!! That's what I like about this place! :D

Better, not perfect. More pink than red now. And no one has said "what's with your face?" for a while now. Maybe they're just used to it? Practice, without a M3, seems to be doing the trick. Sharps and Derby's too, rather than Feathers. Haven't had a single nick since I got a pack of Sharps from JoAnna!! Derby's are even better!

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Pink huh? Try some rose soap to go with it. :rofl

Hang in their DUKE!

It is improving.

10. fritz

fritz New Member

Glad to hear it! But the question is not so much "razor & blade" but "preparation & technique".
    :drool

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

[FONT=&quot]The Derby Extras seem to have done the trick. Got them 3-4 shaves ago and things are much better now. After a week or two, I might even throw another Feather in there and see what happens. :eek:

As for prep and technique, shower first (usually), keep face wet throughout (warm water and washcloth between passes), assorted creams or soaps (always warm), 3 passes plus touchup, cold water rinse, witch hazel, aftershave. Very light touch, N-S, S-N, E-W.
    Every product I use has glycerin so no, I don't add more (I don’t even know where to GET more)! And in any case, the razor does glide, no scraping - at least not that I can feel.

Kyle's tomes? Yeah I saw them, but didn't really read. Scanned thru them and decided that that was WAY more info than I want or intend to process. Probably some good stuff in there, but not for me..

I remember when I first introduced myself to the B&B members, I made some crack like, "...you guys are NUTS!" Kyle was one who welcomed me by replying, "Thank you"! In that spirit, If I ever get that anal about shaving, I'll just buy a Norelco...or more M3 cartridges. ;)

It's just shaving, ya
    know? That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :signs089
    [/FONT]

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

And as for my wise guy "friend", above, I HAVE some Rose soap, thank you! Makes no difference...but it smells GREAT!!

[and don't you just LOVE the Duke of Kent thing?! PERFECT!!!]

13. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Michael - check this THREAD out.

Just when I thought my shaves couldn't get any better, I just took them to a whole new level playing around with razor-grip.

I settled on a grip which is 100% contrary to everything you've learned elsewhere. (I now Hold the razor right below the head)

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yeah, I read that some time ago. Even tried holding the thing at the end of the handle. Lord, that was horrible!! Matter of fact, I hold mine near the head too. The razor, I mean.

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Ah gee - thanks for the clarification :rofl

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Just wanted to be clear. :D

17. Belegnole

Belegnole New Member

Something to note..

As I have had issues with some products "RED FACE"

One other culprit is in your Shave Den....your razor! If you don't clean it often enough or well enough little :happy093 end up growing in what is a great medium for it. When you shave with the infected razor the little buggers get into your skin causing inflammation. I know its a long shot, but thought I would mention it....I have seen some of the razors people around the net use....lol

Oh, I am going to get the classic Barber Shop tool The Barbicide tower or maybe the Marvy one...now if I can only figure out where to put the thing...

18. Try Colloidal Silver

My husband makes Colloidal Silver. It kills bacteria and is non-irritating.

:)'s Elizabeth

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Got a link?

20. Link

No--he doesn't have a web site. He sells it to a dentist and some of his clients at the counseling center. I could PM his e-mail to anyone who might be interested. He doesn't charge outrageous prices like some do and it is good quality silver.