DIY blade vault

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by Single Wedge, Jul 26, 2008.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am thinking you would have broth sprayed all over the place...

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well yeah... :D

Obviously it would be time to wear some safety equipment.

3. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I used an empty soup can. Same drill, I used a kitchen knife to make a starter hole, then I used a screwdriver to open it up a bit. It'll take years to fill this thing up. A Simple spray of paint, or a computer printed label would spruce it up a bit and make it nice for display, but I keep mine under the sink.

Attached Files:

4. Grumpy_Bottom

Grumpy_Bottom New Member

I glued the lid of an Altoids tin together and cut a slit in that with a box cutter then "opened" it up a little with a screwdriver. Then I found the ones for $.99 at Bullgoose and ordered a bunch of those because they look nicer ;)

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I use an old Prince Albert pocket tin.. I didn't bother gluing the top on no children in the house. When it get's full I take it along on my regular trip to donate blood, dump it and reuse the tin.

like this.. too early to go take a picture.
    [​IMG]

6. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

I use soap cans as well but my dispenser is configured differently. My can opener creates the "safe lids" so I remove the top and wash thoroughly. The top gets a slit cut for blade entry. The lid is then attached back to the body with some epoxy. When the can is full (takes a few years) I just epoxy over the slot to seal the blades in the can.

7. chillipepr

chillipepr Member

Some neat ideas!! I was just throwing them away, now I know better.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We just use an Altoid tin (no kids to worry about.) When it is full, we will tape it shut & put a warning label on it, prior to recycling.

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

My medicine cabinet has a premade 'slot' in the back of it so the blades fall inside the wall. House has been there since 1920 so there's 90yr's of blades somewhere down there!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I have the medicine cabinet slot as well but don't use it mostly because my medicine cabinet is too full of stuff to bother trying to get to the slot. Instead, I use a very symbolic Band-Aid brand bandage tin container in which I made a slit in the lid for used blades and then super-glued the lid shut. The tins are hard to find since they now package the bandages in cardboard boxes.

alpla444 likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A colleague of mine is remodeling an old home, he recently bought. He discovered that the bathroom had a razor slot, when he tore the wall down and all of the blades fell out. Luckily, he wasn't hurt and had a magnet, to pick up the old blades.

alpla444 likes this.
  12. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

cool idea...i actually found an old gilette blade bank at my local antique outlet for 3 dollars so i use that lol but for anyone else this could really work great

13. EndlessFields

EndlessFields Member

Yeah, always thought stashing them in the walls sounded like a bad idea.

14. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Old metal tea caddies should do fine if you can find them - or small tin money boxes.

15. kellykungfu

kellykungfu New Member

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on this website, which has helped me a lot with wet shaving. Here is my first contribution. Its based on this entire thread of how some sort of tin is used and then then glued shut.

I used an old mint tin that I had and wanted to up it a notch. Thinking about how (at least I would imagine) a vending machine works, once you put a coin in, it goes through some sort of contraption that keeps the coins from going back out.

Sooo... I thought why not add a piece of angled metal to do so. This is a picture that I took of a small angled piece of metal that I cut from another tin.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the angled metal that is glued (5 min epoxy) to the tin, there is just a hair width space from the angled metal to the top of the lid.

[​IMG]

Pic of the finished tin with a lot of epoxy around the lip of the tin to seal it shut for good and then a slot that was created using a cut off wheel in a Dremel. The idea behind everything is when you insert a blade into the tin, it hits the metal angle and "ramps" down into the bottom of tin. If you try to turn it upside down and shake it, the blades will get stuck on the angled metal and not come out the slot. Too bad piggy banks weren't made like this, otherwise coins wouldn't come out :happy097:

[​IMG]

Queen of Blades likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use a plastic "Deep South" dry parsley container. It has a 3.5" x 2.5" foot print and is about 8.5" tall and so takes up a very small amount of space and fits upright in the corner of my vanity drawer perfectly. The screw top has two hinged lids(one side open pore and the otherside with small holes) for easy disposal of blades. I use the open pour side,however if you need more security you could glue down the open pour side lid and then cut a small slot and use the hole side. The container and screw top are made of very sturdy plastic and will hold used blades very securely. Based on usage so far I would predict this container will easily hold 10+ years worth of used blades for me, then just super glue the top down and throw away...:char039:
    While this container is certainly not as nice looking as many of the others described in this post, it costs nothing, is easily found in the grocery store, won't corrode, takes up very little space in my drawer,will securely hold YEARS worth of used blades, fits perfectly(height wise) in the drawer, helps keep excess clutter off my vanity top and it gives a container bound for the garbage anyway a second purpose....:happy005:

jbund and iambatman85 like this.
  17. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

ARRGGGHHHH I had that exact same idea and even started eating an eclipse mint every time I get in my car, so that I now have about 3 or 4 tins but never got around to it.
    "You have bested me Sir, Well played. Take my Horse and my sword, I am at your service."
    :smiley respect:

18. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I am still rolling around with teary eyes. :happy097: Nice One Your Highness !!!! (DEEP prolonged Bow)

Queen of Blades likes this.