DNA Testing For Ancestry?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Dec 27, 2017.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've never looked into it any further Beyond throwing out the results from 23andMe since the ancestry.com results were consistent between myself and my sister. The only thing I can figure is that 23andMe either makes it up or they contaminated the sample on their end somehow. The results were wildly different as I mentioned. To the point of including significant ethnic representation that there was just no way could be in my ancestry. And on the other hand significant known representations were underreported.

They would probably claim that they test different genetic regions and therefore the results are different.

Screwtape, DaltonGang and wristwatchb like this.
  3. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

My wife and I gave the Ancestry test to each other as an anniversary gift a few years ago. There were no real surprises to me, and only a couple of small surprises for my wife. I know a lot of people don't like it because it may uncover some family secrets that someone wanted to keep secret--so be prepared. For me, it's interesting how they provide a margin of error (for example, it will say you're 4% Irish, with a possible range between 0% and 7%). As more and more people have taken the test, the margin of errors on mine have slowly adjusted and gotten smaller.

One thing to be aware of is that some ethnicities aren't well represented in the databases, so results can be poor. For example, some people just get "East Asian" instead of a breakdown of the various countries. Make sure you check how good each test is for your ethnicity.

4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I found out my razorock 37 wasn't from germany but was a close cousin to the 37 I keep in my dopp bag.:D

tp

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Razor genes are generally easier to track than mammals..bit tricky to get a spit sample though...

Screwtape, wristwatchb and Sara-s like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

On my Dad's side, it's essentially Scotland&Ireland. Don't know about my Mom's side, except for the fact that somehow Abe Lincoln and I are related. No wonder I like many of his famous "Quotes".

DaltonGang likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

These DNA testing services would be an excellent way for the underground reptilian secret society elite global cabal to get our DNA without having to use force. Other than that, it's pretty cool.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's exactly what I was just thinking! It's like you read my mind...but...only space aliens from beyond the moon can read minds...

9. richgem

Except that they now have to change their plans because you let the cat out of the bag. Nice going. :(

Screwtape, wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I already know I'm Heinz 57. German with Serbian and Macedonian after that, followed by French Canadian, with a touch of English for good measure, with who know what else, I even heard I have a little Spaniard in there .

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. BigMark83

Like Eastern European. Let's see there is Polish, Ukrainian, Albanian, Russian, Georgian, Czech, Slovenian, Slovakian, Serbian, etc... I hate blanket terms.

Screwtape likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Maybe explains why I am nonplussed over this, and also offended by its nefarious intent. These human, gold-gathering DNA based, biological mining and support robots down here don't see difference between convenience and gullibility in many practical applications of "their" advanced technology. So, we should probably keep quiet about this, we don't wanna start something. ;)

13. Bama Samurai

Nah, the messaging and curiosity is too strong. We could also start social media networks and allow everyone to compile a complete dossier (with location Metadata) on themselves. If we write the ToS cleverly, we won't even need permission to grab the dossiers. The amount of money the cabal could save versus all the paid informants is not insignificant. It should work! ;)

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They say the problem is that national borders and identities, which have changed over time, are relatively recent and artificial parameters compared with genetic stocks that go back thousands of years. So if somebody is quite mixed (as all of us are if you go back far enough), or even if they aren't, in many cases it's impossible to nail that person down to one specific modern national identity. The genetics can't support it. A general range or predominance is as close as it gets.

That's the explanation I read anyway.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Screwtape, wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I think it would be more fun and enlightening (for me) to trace my family roots the old fashioned way...by looking at my family tree. I expect I'd run into some dead ends and limitations, but it would still be fun.

I have my psychiatrist on speed dial in case I discover that @richgem and I are related. :happy097:

16. Paul Turner

If Lincoln and I are related, ANY two can be!!!!!

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. richgem

See? Everyone secretly wants to be at least part penguin. :)

PickledNorthern and wristwatchb like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It take a 1/16 or so. Plus penguin chicks are kinda hot.

Screwtape, Bama Samurai and richgem like this.
  19. BigMark83

Tell that to the English Irish and Scottish :happy102:.

Screwtape, DaltonGang and Paul Turner like this.
  20. Paul Turner

talkinabout my "countrymen"(kind of) :).