Do different straight razors shave differently

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bob1234, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The "Gary Cooper" of TSD.

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I actually have 4078 posts on TheShaveDen. I started several threads including What Straight did You Use Today. I think I started one on Japanese Razors as well. I haven't posted much in the last 2 years, since I retired from my regular job and do a lot of photography and hiking. I have a beard now and seldom use a straight, except to define the beard. I did shave my head a few times with a straight. I don't recommend it. I also used to post on Shavenook, Straightrazorplace, theshavingroom (UK). I once had 140 straights, plus a lot of double edge and single edge razors, but preferred the feel of a straight shave and the beauty of the straights, especially the Japanese ones. I found some NOS straights in a junk/antique store at the start of my straight journey and I won some on eBay from a NYC grinding shop through a Catholic convent auction. I made contact with a Canadian in Japan to get some of the first Japanese straights and then aframestokyo in Hawaii from Takeshi Aoki. I bought NOS German straights from a Canadian, like Fritz Bracht and Dorko that I love. I love the larger razors 8/8 and 9/8 for the feel and heft of the razor in hand. I watched lots of videos and learned to hone, but have trouble with some wedges, though wedges whisk away the beard like magic. I started a straight razor group here in Durham, North Carolina and had a meetup for a few years. Once we brought Lyn Abrams (SRP), who really brought back straight razor shaving to the internet, to Asheville. I had online conversations with people in England, Belgium, France and Sweden in my search for razors and the history of razors. I now am down to 92 straights. I have three seven day sets, one German (cities)from WWII, one British and one other German set. I liked reading about all the ins and outs of making straights and strops and soaps and brushes. That's about it.

Karl G, Primotenore, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thats a great straight razor resume. Your razors are always top notch lookers.

Karl G, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I do believe Scott @DaltonGang was referring to the OP.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It was still a good story. :eatdrink013:

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Oops.

Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It worked out, I enjoyed reading your post.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Great background story! I've been shaving my head with my straights since the middle of October without any major incidents. I have had a couple nicks in the awkward spot on the back of my head behind my ears, but nothing to stress over. I've actually found it to be much easier than I thought it would be. I have found that most of my blades can't make it throught both beard and head without getting tuggy, but I can either switch razors between them, or with a couple blades, it will work if I do my beard first, since it's much thicker than what's left of my hair. Anyway, as I've said elsewhere, it's kind of like combing your hair very carefully!

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Karl G and Edison Carter like this.