Do the badgers die?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gatto, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Talking to me? :confused:

2. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I knew this thread was going to get strange

about the rabbits in australia, that sucks but it isn't the rabbit's fault. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to control them but if people thought things through a little more carefully the problem wouldn't be there in the first place.

It isn't just that I like animals because they are cute and cuddly, they're alive and I just don't think it's right to raise them in cages where they can't even walk or where they don't see the sun. I don't know how conditions on chinese badger farms are but here in america most farm animals are treated horribly.

3. Queen of Blades

Or so the media would have us think.............:)

4. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

The badgers are not raised on a damn farm. They are a vicious wild animal. They really are a burden to farmers in China. I believe the farmers actually get paid to kill them too, simply to stop them from damaging the farms. They are alive, but so are trees. I bet you still use paper though.

The bottom line is that it would be more unethical to call for the killing to stop. Then people would starve. What is more important? Children going hungry because some bleeding hearts stopped the harvesting of badgers, or the comfort of an animal whom many consider to be a horrid pest?

Jen, consider these things. You are a very intelligent woman, we all know that.

5. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

A new law was recently passed, one of the only ones in existence here to protect the right of chickens that says they are required to have access to the outdoors for 10 minutes a day, that could mean that the door to their barn is open for 10 minutes a day and leads to a very small outdoor pen, they don't even have to go outside, only have the opportunity to. That was considered a big deal. If I remember correctly it also requires that the animals have room to both sit down and stand up.

I don't feel like starting this so lets go back to badgers

6. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I'm not saying it should stop, I'm just saying I might not buy more badger brushes in the future. I donno, I have to think about it.

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

My grandmother's farm is a wonderful place for farm animals - and I think most farms in the US are small farms like hers. Animals on such farms live short, healthy, productive lives. What are animals for anyway?

And rest assured my grandmother does not endanger herself or others by driving at breakneck speeds on public roads while emotional [​IMG]

8. rollsshaver

Some little kid in China might not get the shoes his daddy promised him then. He will have to walk to school, in the mud, barefoot. All because his daddy could not sell the badger furs he needed to sell. By buying those brushes, we put shoes on kids feet, enable people to get medical attention they could otherwise not afford, and improve the ovorall quality of life for little children.

Do it for the children, Jen.

9. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

Or I could donate some money?

*insert confused face here*

10. rollsshaver

Donated money, especially over there, will never get to those little towns. Corruption is terrible. It sucks, but it is very true. I know this for a fact.

However, the $$ from the furs gets handed right to the farmers.

11. Queen of Blades

Unfortunately this type of thread will cause a "debate". And everyone is entitled to voice their thoughts on the subject, as long as the discussion remains civil.

Fed by the media, the animal rights groups have certainly grown, and have quite a strong lobbying ability. I do believe in humane treatment of animals, but assigning rights to animals is a bit over the top.

12. hoglahoo

lol! Sorry, I got confused too :)

13. rollsshaver

JoAnna, there will be no attacks here. I like Jen too much too ever knowingly insult or verbally attack her.

14. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

I'm not worried about being attacked, I'm more worried I'll make somebody else mad if we keep talking about animal rights in America. :ashamed001 I don't think I can save the world or change other people but I do enjoy my right to choose if I want to support the meat industry or not.

And thank you rolls :)

edit: one last thing and then I'm done I promise!

What is wrong with actually giving animals rights? They're alive, they feel things too. Chickens are actually said to be smarter then dogs, but even if they aren't why should dogs and cats be protected under the law and not farm animals? The reason they need rights is because there were are I'm sure still are farms where chickens spend their entire short lives under artificial light in a 2 ft by 2ft by 2ft cage being shared with so many other chickens that none of them can stand up or sit down properly. There are farms where the cages are just stacked up and all of the chickens end up covered in their own waste. Not only is it horrible for the animal but think about it... if you eat meat you have to eat that.

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Not true. Most farms and ranches are owned by huge corporations and receive staggering subsidies of taxpayer dollars. The animals there are kept in crowded disease ridden conditions and are shot up with drugs to counteract the squalor. The fecal waste from the animal warehouses is lightly regulated and pollutes most of mid America and many states on the east coast like North Carolina. The meat industry is not pretty.

Badgers do die and from what I've learned most come from China and are killed as pests to crops. Whether there is a Badger meat industry is debatable.

16. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

yup

17. hoglahoo

Where do you get your information?
    I found this at http://www.epa.gov/oecaagct/ag101/demographics.html after about 30 seconds of google searching which shows US farm demographics (as reported in '97, anyway)

Attached Files:

18. rollsshaver

There is no real meat industry over there, just a bunch of hungry people who need to eat, and they eat badgers. Most people here in America anymore have no idea what it is to be that hungry. I do. I can remember a time when the only meat we had was we could trap, shoot, or even find after it had been run over. I will not get too far into it, but times were tough back then. Damn people these days have no idea how easy they have it.

19. gatto

gatto *Not a dude*

That is not the percent of output, just the number of farms. 90% of the businesses in this country are sole proprietorships but they account for 10% of the business done in this country.

20. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Num Num Lets Eat Animals!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.