Do you prefer boar/pure badger brushes?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by bpope62, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

I'm probably alone here, but we'll see...

I find myself passing up my fancy silver tip badger brushes (Shavemac, Savile Row, Rooney) for boar brushes (Omega) and pure badger brushes (Lee's Razors Vulfix 660). I also have a Mayfair boar/badger combination brush I've been using regularly.

My favorite now is the Vulfix 660 Medium in pure badger used with Mitchell's Wool Fat soap.

Is there anyone else in the same boat? And no, I don't want to 'donate' my silver tip brushes to a good home!

Regards,
    Bob

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I have never used a silver tip badger brush- I can't afford one. I used a boar brush for two years and liked it well enough.

I love my C&E Pure Badger. It's a great brush- much better water retention than a boar and yet has the firm scrubbiness that I enjoy.

3. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Hi NoobShaver,

Although I have some fancy stuff I've grown to prefer simpler things - a pure badger brush, Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap, a Single Edge GEM razor, and Aqua Velva aftershave.

Bob

4. Will

Will Nevermind

I am a big fan of the C&E Best, take it over my Kent 3 to 1.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I enjoy my pure badger vulfix, but I've yet to be able to afford a silvertip brush. I dont like synthetic or boar brushes though.

6. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Badger, hands down. I've had a few brushes and really prefer a stiff bristled badger - like Rooney in Finest. Otherwise I lean toward the "best" grade over standard silvertip.

I do have the omega boar and a vulfix boar, but they're not in the same league, IMHO :D

Jordan

7. bpope62

bpope62 New Member

Maybe this has to do with me using soaps now (Tabac and MWF). The pure badger Vulfix 660 was designed as a soap brush and it does an incredible job.

I've been shaving with safety razors for over 10 years. And I just got interested in shaving as a 'hobby'. Before, it was strictly business - one pass with touch-up, using soap (or even using SoftSoap hand cleaner squirted directly on the brush!).

Then I got the 'shaving bug' and started to pamper myself with fancy English floral scented creams, Silvertip Brushes, high-end DE razors, and non-alcohol after shave balms.

Well, now I'm back to a 7 minute shave with a GEM G-Bar, MWF soap on a pure badger brush, and alcohol-laden Aqua Velva. Although I do still enjoy hot lather (from a Dirty Bird Brush Scuttle).

Bob

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I own a VDH boar and a C&E BBB. The VDH boar is a cheap, barely adaquate brush. The C&E BBB is very good. My ideal brush would be close to the C&E Best, but I'd like a little more backbone. It's not enough for me to spend money on anytime soon (I'd rather have some high end soaps and/or creams), but when I do I'll concider either a pure bader or getting a knot that's either denser or has shorter loft in best.

9. apswartz

apswartz New Member

I love my C&E BBB

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'd bet the C&E Pure Badger is what you're looking for.

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have a NOS Rooney 3/1, a pure badger and a cheapo VDH boar brush. Hardly ever use the Rooney, the pure badger is pretty good. I find myself using the VDH boar most often. Mine is well broken in, soft and produces prodigious amounts of lather easily. As for not holding water, just dip the tip in hot water as needed and you're all set. Go figure.

12. I really love my Rooney 2/1 Silver for creams and my C&E BBB for soaps. I am sure boar brushes are fine but I feel as cheap as these brushes are I get pleasure from the badger brushes.

13. JimR

JimR Active Member

I've never used a premium brush, but i really have no interest in one. I've got an Omega professional on the way and I'm dead excited about it.
    Yay Pig!

14. Don't get me wrong - I bought Rooney used here and I have C&E BBB I love - Neither are considered premium brushes. My feeling is that you are investing in yourself and cost over life time is pennies so buy what you love and proud to own. I always applaud the bargain "best buy" deals that are quality.