Do You Rinse Your Bowl And Brush?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DonMac, Nov 15, 2015.

1. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I don't know how many people do this, but I don't rise my bowl of lather or my brush after every shave. This is assuming I am going to be using the same bowl and brush the following day.

What I do, is to wipe the excess lather from my brush into the bowl, wipe the brush handle of lather and set it aside. I leave the existing lather in the bowl wiping only the excess off the outside and top of the rim.

The remaining lather dries, coating the inside of the shaving bowl.

The next day, I simply put a little hot water into the bowl, and using the same brush which still has dried lather on it, begin whipping the lather.

I find that a small toothpaste size strip of Poraso will provide the same amount of original lather in these subsequent latherings for up to three days, No difference between day one and day three.

With a puck, I do the same thing, leave the lather in the bowl and brush, if reusing.

I find that the re-lather happens faster and provides the same quality lather.

When I switch to a different brush, I rinse out the lather in the brush.

I have been doing this for years with no effect to the brush or quality of lather, and your extending the Poraso 3 times. Also, is your an early morning shaver, it makes it easier and faster to build a lather.

Kizurra, gzp, Douglas Carey and 2 others like this.
  2. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I have never done this but I'm not sure why , I use a synthetic brush that isn't likely to be damaged by keeping the lather on it. Seem to be a good idea and one I shall adopt ... thanks.

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I rarely use the same cream twice in a row, but this seems like a good idea. Especially for some of the more expensive or rarer creams/soaps out there. I also have to say this totally sounds like a Depression-era idea! Imagine how long a puck of Tabac would last!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

The other point I neglected to mention, is that I use this method on all my brushes, from Boar to Badger to synthetic.

This is not a method of being content to use a thinned out crummy lather, but a method to produce the same rich thick lather as in the first use. With shave creams, I am sure the amount of re-lathers will be limited by the quality of the cream.

I recently showed this method to a friend, and he claims he is somehow getting four quality re-lathers with the same toothpaste size strip of shaving cream.

Why waste perfectly good lather.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  5. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

My grandpa did it. He used the same brush and soap for years.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

My father used the same method. There was an article in the Gillette Company Newsletter in the early 60's recommending this method.

7. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Since I don't bowl lather, there's nothing to clean for me there. ;) But I always leave the leftover lather in my soap tins. Doesn't have much of an effect on croaps or creams, i guess, but as far as my experience goes some hard soaps like MWF or D.R. Harris are easier to lather this way. And I don't leave the hard soaps open to dry, like I do with the creams and the soft soaps.

I rinse and clean my brush after every shave, but I guess I'l give your method a try.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I always rinse/clean brush and bowl. I rotate 18 brushes and don't want lather crusting up in them.
    I always whip up enough lather for 4 to 5 passes, though I only make three. That's how I enjoy my shaves. Call it waste if you want to, to me it adds to my ME time.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I wash, clean & dry brush and bowl after every shave. While I find your idea interesting, I can be anal, so not washing both would bother me. Also soap is cheap(Arko), it doesn't take that long to make my lather fresh and it's a part of my routine now.:) Do you hang your brush to dry or let it sit it upright?

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I clean bowl, (if I use a bowl) brush, and razor after each shave.

fdce54, youngunn, 45auto and 4 others like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

What he (and others) said...

It never occurred to my NOT to clean everything after a shave. This may explain why so many shaving items "in the wild" are caked with soap.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

and dust, hair, dead skin, dried blood.
    I'm not a germ-a-phobe, but I rinse my items out after every use.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yes. And yes.

178-bplatoon, Kizurra and tuxxdk like this.
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Me too.

178-bplatoon and Kizurra like this.
  15. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

When I set the brush aside, I set it upright to dry. I have also found that with some older brushes I've picked up, where the bristles were curved to one side from having been left for extended periods in a shaving mug, that this method of leaving the remaining soap in the brush to dry can re-align the hair bristles, restoring the brush to it's original shape.

When I am finished with a brush using this method, I thoroughly wash it with hair shampoo, and periodically put hair conditioner on the bristles, rinse and dry. I have some vintage brushes over 80 years old that were previously well taken care of that literally still look like new.

Regarding germs, that really isn't an issue, as rinsing used soap out of the shaving mug and brush doesn't kill germs unless they were rinsed with some type of germicide.

Redrock and Uncle Brian like this.
  16. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm in the cleaning camp.

178-bplatoon and Redrock like this.
  17. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I clean out my brush. I don't use a bowl to lather but when I do I wash is out as soon as I'm done because otherwise it would sit for weeks or months before I used it again. I use my shaving mug to hold warm water in the sink so I don't need to turn on the tap as often.

178-bplatoon, Kizurra and Redrock like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs011:

19. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

For the first time ever I did not rinse out my bowl and did not give the brush a wash and hang it on its stand to dry this morning. I don't expect to save much on cream over the life of the 150ml tub but it seems less wasteful and as I only have one brush why not.
    My main soap is TOBS Jermyn St which is a cream and I can get 4 passes from just a small amount on the brush when I start. Usually I face lather but bowl lathering is fun too and I will be doing more of that from now on ... maybe a scuttle or similar might be a nice addition to go with the no rinse method.

20. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I clean everything... Brush, bowl (when I use one), razor, outside of soap or croap container, sink, faucet, mirror, SOD shelf, and regularly the toilet (especially after my 5 year old grandson goes home.) I have the cleanest bathroom in the house (guest bath is my shave Den so it has to remain clean.)
    My wife thinks her's is cleanest but I leave no toothpaste or hair.