Do you think Dove may be testing the waters so to speak ?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by NapalmCola, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Why was he banned

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That's a bit shady. Officially because he refused to sign a piece of legislation (about workers rights), but the real reason seems to be that he had tried to introduce artificial scarcity to keep prices high, and maximise profits, during the war. That he was a German probably made him an easy scapegoat too (though the Dutch opinions on Germany were very ambivalent after the first world war).

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  3. Double Edge Dougy

That is interesting....and based on todays prices of some gear, maybe a few more executives need to be banned lol

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Back to the Dove. If you have a Whole Foods nearby, get the Kiss my Face over the Dove shave cream. I'm embarrassed I even compared the two. KmF is much slicker, thicker, and easier to lather. The post shave skin feel is about the same (very good) and unless the scent grabs you, there is absolutely no reason to pick it over other readily available shave creams like C.O. Bigelow, Prorazo, KmF and Maca Root.

It's nice that it's an option, and in a pinch, say, when travelling, I would have no reservations about purchasing a tube at a local Walmart or Walgreen's.

5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

what is the brand on the bottom that got cut off?

6. Double Edge Dougy

That was the shave foam thats kind of always at the 99 cent store...i dont remember the brand name but ill check on it when i grab some after shave balm for some peeps

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

ok, thanx...I need to go to one of those stores soon myself.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I picked up some of the "expert" cream today at my local "Big Lots" for a whopping $2.50. The price was right just to try it out. I'm not thrilled about the ingredient list (at least 2 strong surfactants -- Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate). The scent is a little strong too, but I still figured I'd give it a try for some reason.

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Sacrifice bunt.

IDuck and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  10. Double Edge Dougy

I also picked up the dove asb and it does a very good job and the girlfriwnd loves the scent

NapalmCola likes this.
  11. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Your lucky you can still find any. Not only is it discontinued but after word got out how good it actually is, we have been buying it at first sight.
    Unfortunately it is to late, if we had been buying it earlier they may have made enough profit that they wouldn't have had to discontinue it and only continue making the "pro" and other similar lines. Mostly lather less cremes, goo in a can and weak versions of the AS balm. Although I would imagine it would be better goo than most out there.

Carefull, your girlfriend may do the same as my wife and take the bottle for herself. I used up the other bottle recently and am stuck using the "pro" line and Nivea now for my easy to find AS balms.

If you have a .99 store near you take a look and see if they still have any Personna DE blades or Brut classic AS balm or the red or blue bottles of Brut cologne.

12. Double Edge Dougy

I actually picked up some of the brut asb tubes gave most away and still have one...ill haveto see if they have any left

NapalmCola likes this.
  13. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

My local Big Lots had some-----I bought one and tried it. I really like it, went back to get more and they only had one, at $2.50 each, it is a great bargain. I did not know this cream existed until I read this thread. The asst mgr at store said they only had 4 to begin with, he thinks it is discontinued. They have other Dove products on shelf though.

NapalmCola likes this.
  14. NapalmCola

Sounds like I need to check the Big Lots when I get back home.
    I originally found it at a grocery outlet store. The tall round cylinder shaped AS expert series balm is fantastic. I also went back to buy out what was left only to get 3 of the expert shave soap tubs and the last AS balm. My wife kept the 2nd balm for herself she liked it so much. So I have since ran out of AS balm but still have 3 1/2 tubs of the soap. It actually reminds me alot of the art of shaving tubs of shave soap.

15. SuperChris

SuperChris Member

I picked up a few tubs from Big Lots. I got good shaves out of it. I think that originally it was around $20 in the stores. IMO that was to high of a price and probably why it didn't stick around. I think if the price would have been $8-$10, it still might be sold at regular stores, but for $20 there are much better choices, that's more than TOBS. I ended up with three tubs at $2.50 each, not bad.

NapalmCola likes this.
  16. NapalmCola

According to the " originally sold for " the tub sold for $29.95. I believe it was marked for barbershop and cosmetologist. Either way it didn't work out so well for the company.