Does Anyone Use Both Straight and DE Razors?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Willk, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Willk

Willk Active Member

Hi,
    Newbie questions: Background: I have been using a DE razor for about 7 years now and am pretty good at it. I can do a 3 pass shave in a relatively quick amount of time on a rushed morning before work, without any nicks or grazes. I like that. However, something keeps calling me to the straight edge. I don't know why. I bought a cheap one (plastic handle, blade is actually a "holder" for a DE blade), but it more or less functions as a straight edge. Anyway, I practiced using it, and it took a long time just to do a single pass, and my face stung a lot so I decided not to give it another pass. However, I managed not to nick myself.

My questions to everyone are:
    1. If I continue with the straight blade, is it crazy for me to use the DE razor for weekdays when I'm rushed in the morning, and the straight blade for weekends or special occasions "when I have more time"? (Why have two different shaving systems???)
    2. Can you get as nice of a shave using a straight blade (3 passes) compared to a DE razor (3 passes)?
    3. Is it always going to take much longer to use a straight blade compared to a DE no matter what?
    4. Does anyone recommend a cheap straight blade for a beginner I can order online and practice with? (I live in Australia)

Thanks,
    Will

Tdmsu, Keithmax, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  2. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Short answer is no it’s not crazy. Someone else more knowledgeable than me will recommend a blade to you on the cheap probably but I will say that I bet there’s many people that do just what you are asking. Personally I am learning to shave with straights and I have been using a DE and the Straight during each shave. I make progress with different angles with the straight but still often pick up the DE to hit different areas that I’m not skillful enough to get with the straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capsfanx, Tdmsu, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great question @ Willk. @B Wade nailed the answer. Use the Shavette ( another name for the straight razor with replaceable DE blade edge) on your cheeks in a WTG pass, then switch to your DE to finish the shave. As you gain confidence, and develop handling skills you can add more difficult areas to your shavette procedure.

If you'd like some daily cheerleading, lots of folks are using the very same idea of Learning new, while using the Known razor to clean up Style in the 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Member Chris @Bama Samurai has been passing out Shavette Starter Kits like they are Popsicle sticks. He's a Ninja Wizard at sharing the skills needed and class is in session!
    ( There's a link to the group in my Signature below)

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

There’s a few: @Jayaruh & @swarden43 that routinely switch from str8 to de and back
    Many of us feel we can get a closer more comfortable shave with a straight. It does take a little longer, but many of us relish every minute of our shave routine, so time isn’t an issue. There are many affordable options for a str8, however I don’t know about Ausie suppliers.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you want to master the Straight Razor, you have to jump in, full time, and use a DE only to clean up spots. Pretty soon, you won't need a DE to touch up .

Keithmax, MR41, B Wade and 1 other person like this.
  6. Willk

Willk Active Member

Some straight blade suppliers won't cost an arm and leg to ship, so I don't mind ordering from any website anywhere as long as I can check the shipping cost first. About enjoying every minute of your shave, I certainly do, but it's this damn modern lifestyle where your always racing to get to work and you feel guilty leaving before 6pm. Even on weekends, the wife and kids are pulling at you to do 100 things! I'd love to go back in time to the 1800s when life was just "slower"

Zykris, Keithmax, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I use my safety razors on workdays and my straight razors on my days off. I look forward to those days off and playing with my SRs.

I can get as good a shave, sometimes better, with an SR as with my DEs, SEs and injectors. It’s just that the SRs are more fun. I need a solid 15 minutes to do a two to three pass SR shave. There are many variables in an SR shave and the learning curve is steep. It will be about 20 to 30 shaves before you get the hang of it and about 100 before you’re truly proficient.

Could I use my SRs on workdays? Sure, but I would have to get up about 10 minutes earlier.

You could find a nice vintage straight online in the $40 USD range. The big name SRs go for considerably more. You’re going to need that razor honed. I would advise getting that razor professionally honed. $15 USD plus shipping. You will also need a strop to refresh the edge each shave. A cheap strop is $20 USD. Not cheap, but you’re ready to go.

@gssixgun might be able to assist as he might know some in your area that can hone a razor for you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Zykris, gssixgun, Tdmsu and 4 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

If your work situation and beard growth allows , consider shaving in the evening? Put the kids to bed, then shave with time to enjoy the experience.

In a shavette, blade choice is up to you, but less critical than a DE razor. What blade do you use in the DE? Does your shavette use half of a DE blade?

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I use both. If I'm in a hurry I go with the double edge if I'm taking my time I use the street. They're also times when one could do clean up passes with a double edge after using a straight personally I don't bother with that but I'll rotate back and forth between straight and double edge.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Keithmax, TestDepth, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  10. Willk

Willk Active Member

For my DE, I only use Feather or Persona. I had to experiment with a dozen blades before I found one that works smoothly for my skin. I think my shavette uses a half blade (I'll have to double check).

Spyder, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  11. Willk

Willk Active Member

Also, can someone comment on the speed of doing a 3-pass shave of a SE verses DE?

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to our forum!

1) It takes about 90 shaves to really master the straight razor.
    2) see above, then... I get a better shave with straights and Shavettes, period, than with a DE. Two passes either way.
    3) see item one, then...I do a full shave with a shavette and a brush in less than ten minutes.
    4) the others here would know more about this than I would.

If you try straights, I wish you all the best! Good luck getting started!

TestDepth, Spyder, RyX and 3 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi Willk , welcome to TSD.

I use both DE and straights, I use a straight 80% of the time. Why 2 systems? Because it is fun. Straights require more concentra7and for some reason give me more satisfaction, a kind zen from the concentration and feeling the blade on my skin.

I can get an equally excellent shave whether I use a straight, SE or DE. Learning to shave with a straight improved my skills for all razors. Think skin stretching and angle.

I am a 4 pass shaver, it takes me 10 minutes for DE/SE versus 12-15 minutes for a straight shave. It will take 100 shaves to gain profeciency and the time it takes will shrink..... but do not rush with a straight.

I live in South Korea so like you I face shipping problems too. Fortunately there is Whipped Dog and sight unseen straight razors. He has great international shipping rates. Buy two sight unseen razors and a poor mans strop, you will recieve two ugly razors for a low price that have very good edges. You want two razors Incase you mess up the edge, which you will.

Shavettes are convienent but harder to learn than a straight. When you show the family what you are shaving with, tell them don’t interrupt and the lock the door.

Join the 30DC thread, don’t be shy and ask for advise.

Welcome to the Dark Side

TestDepth, DaltonGang, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  14. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I jumped in head first, with the expectation that I would use my DE when I got frustrated with the straight but Ive never been frustrated with the straight. Infact, I find it easier to shave with my Feather AC than I do with my DE.
    Just today, I pulled out my Muhle R41, put a Wilkinson Sword blade in it and it was a good shave but I did nick myself with it under my chin and it still wasnt as close of a shave as my Feather AC is.

TestDepth, DaltonGang, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I routinely use de, se, or straight razors (sometimes a combination of two). I have not used a shavette. I was drawn to the straight razor. Mostly because there were so many available while hunting for de's. Once I had them, it seemed natural to want to use them. Also after having three or four, i wanted to learn how to make an edge fine enough to shave with. (A skill of its own).
    I found that learning a straight razor made my de journey take great leaps. Personally i feel that i was truely learning the "soft hands" needed to take hair away without scraping epidermis. Once this happened and I could maneuver a blade anywhere on my face and instinctively ride the cutting edge, it seems as if I can use anything and still get a good shave, surprisingly aggressive to mild just went away.
    The maintenance of the straight razor still takes me more time, but the shave itself is about the same.
    Now I've touted my "soft hands" and "ride the edge" theories, I've related all I've learned in the few years I've been doing this. I find that sometimes i get the hankering for either method, it's nice to be able to scratch the itch and pick up whatever, and use that. I normally but not exclusively get good shaves, and i cant say either method give better shaves than the other (sorry, i know that's a selling point for many tipping on the edge of buying new gear). Straights do cost more in getting going, space of storage, and time of maintenance.

TestDepth, DaltonGang, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    PM me your email Address when you get time

I will put you in touch with a couple of the AU Straight Razor guys that can direct you and help you out...

Jim99, TestDepth, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

I'll be honest here after reading this question

If speed is a consideration SR's might not be a good idea for you
    That being said after 37 years using a SR I can shave PDQ if I must but that is just not where a SR shines

18. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

1) No, I almost always use straights. But, when I want a break I pull out a DE or SE. I adcvocate using ONLY a straight until you learn.
    2) I think you can get a better shave with a straight.
    3) For the first 100 days or so (depending on how quickly you "get it"), it will probably be slower. After that, it was virtually the same amount of time for me.
    4) sorry - no clue on anyone in Australia.

It took me about 100 days to go from no experience to completely comfortable with a straight. Unlike some, I don't recommend using a DE to "clean up". I got a lot more experience by using only a straight for all of it. I think this may have cut up my face more than necessary, but it taught me well and quickly.

capsfanx, Jim99, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're the man!

20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I use both, DE, SR and SE. I use each 50% of the time. ;)

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.