Does anyone use ordinary bar soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by white_feather, May 29, 2013.

1. jp2600

jp2600 New Member

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions! Some good things to try. Awhile back I made some body soap similar to L'Occitane french milled soap, because I didn't want to pay L'Occitane prices. It was fairly easy and I might take the same route here. I am looking at possibly doing a soap made with jojoba and tea tree oil or argan oil. When I made soap I used Argan and didn't have any problems so I may go that route. Or, as mentioned above I may try saponofied coconut oil.

Not allergic to anything according to the allergist I saw years back, but have very sensitive skin to bacteria and pores that clog easily according to the dermatologist. I have developed a regiment that works well over the years and I have gotten it under control for the most part. Cleanse, tone, scrub w/salycilic product, benzoil peroxide as needed, twice a day. Then every other week I give myself a 70% glycolic peel in order to unclog pores and fade old acne scars and hyper pigmentation. It's a PITA, but it is working. I just always get nervous adding new products. It took awhile to find the right combo of products.

Anyway, thanks again! I will update and let you know how I fare. If I go the route of making my own, I will create a thread, in case there is some interest. I just ordered a Merkur 180 so now I am committed to the world of DE shaving :DHope y'all don't mind if I pull up a chair and stay awhile!

2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Mike D

Mike D New Member

I shaved for years with the bath soap I made and a Gillett mach 3. I did not even use a brush to lather it. My morning routine was:

out of the shower
    soap up the hands and rub on face
    shave
    proceede with the day

things have changed a bit since then.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For the better, I trust ;)

5. SKrotee

SKrotee Member

Been told by many shaving professionals, old school and modern, that you shouldn't shave with ordinary soap. "Ingredients" are different.

6. swarden43

True, but in this case I don't believe "shouldn't" to be law. Many folks, as you can see if you've read through all of this, have used ordinary soap with acceptable results.

If ordinary soap was actually that bad for the face, I would have had problems starting some ??-odd years ago. It's all that I've use in the shower to wash my face for many years.

Shaver X likes this.
  7. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

This has been an interesting and funny thread but i too have a question about this. I bought some irish spring and thought how much i liked the scent i was wondering if anyone has graded some up with a shave soap and meted it together? Im going to try it with some vdh. Ive never done anything like this so any tips??? Should i add glycerin? How long to melt?

8. swarden43

Folks have been grating up Williams a mixing it up with VDH for quite some time. Don't see why it wouldn't work with any other soap. Melt the VDH in a microwave safe bowl using 8 to 10 second bursts. KEEP YOUR FINGER ON THE STOP BUTTON AND HIT IT IF THE SOAP STARTS TO BUBBLE. Let it rest for 30 seconds or so the hit again for another 8 to 10 seconds. Continue the bursts until all melted. Stir in your grated Irish Spring and you're ready to go. I'd try it without the glycerin first, you may not need it. If you do, you can always add your drops when you load your brush.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  9. Mike D

Mike D New Member

Indubitably Sir!
    I have advanced from what we had termed in the army as the "Field Expedient Method" (during which time a question about the basics of wet shaving would have produced from me the answer of "Hu?....Idunno.") to a more knowledgeable practitioner of the art.

However, this evolution would have not been possible without the tutelage of the more advanced adepts of the craft who have provided me with needed guidance through the various shaving forums.

10. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

My irish spring vdh melting was a success...if any of you like the scent of irish spring you should give it a shot...lathered almost instantly and got a good shave

jmarlow and swarden43 like this.
  11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Old spice has a new tallow based bar soap. Maybe worth trying?

Shaver X and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  12. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Seems irresponsible. I mean, have you seen the ads for it? You'd be unable to leave your house! :happy102:

feeltheburn likes this.
  13. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Almost certainly not.

Many of the drugstore soap bars are tallow based. None of them produces a worthy shave lather.

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why not? If it does not work well, the world won't end. Should your shave be lousy with the Old Spice soap, simply wash it off your face, apply a known good shave soap or cream for the rest of your shave, and use the Old Spice as a bath soap.

Robyflexx and Leo K. like this.
  15. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

I tried using bar soap but didn't like the lather.

I figure why bother when there are better dedicated products in my den.

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Because some bath soaps work reasonably well for shaving and are less expensive than most shaving soaps. Dove is one that comes to mind. It is not an issue for some people, but those looking to save some money might see things differently.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

Yep. For years, when I used soap to shave (I never even knew about shave soap, and I didn't use a brush), it was more about the lubrication then it was about the lather. I never got any kind of true lather from a bar of soap, but the smoothness (at least I got) was exceptional. Of course, there were better brands than others, and I used relatively expensive ($7.00) bars of soap. Lasted 3 to 4 months, so it was well worth it to me..

18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I regularly use Dove moisturizing bar, and it out performs a cream I paid $25 bucks for. Cheese grate it in a puck in a empty Greek yogurt cup. ( works best for whipping it up ) or even as a lather bowl you can toss out. You will be pleasantly surprised. .

Attached Files:

19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Not for a 3 pass shave. Not even a CWS could mitigate that train wreck.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Have you tried it. Lots of fellows Think it's a good shaving soap in a pinch. 3 pass, do you use a different soap or cream for each pass ?. Possibly a different blade for each pass. , ???. Why not, it makes sense. . Just fooling around. Don't be insulated

preidy and opsimath like this.