Does anyone use ordinary bar soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by white_feather, May 29, 2013.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Ivory reminds me a lot of Williams, right down to the scent. A while back, I tried the advice from a vintage Ivory ad of using it like a shave stick and got a decent result- better, in some ways, than the Marvy shave soap I'm currently banging my head on.

I don't think I ever would have thought of trying Irish Spring as a shave soap, though.

(FWIW, before becoming a traditional wet shaver in September 2015, my normal routine would be a shower shave using a 3-blade cart and whatever soap I was currently using, worked by hand into as much of a froth as I could muster.)

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

How much money would we have to chip into a kitty to get you to post a video of you doing a full, three pass shave with Lava?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Thank you. Carbide Mike.

4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Regular bar soap would dry me out something awful if I shaved with it.

Pilotcld and Robyflexx like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

"(FWIW, before becoming a traditional wet shaver in September 2015, my normal routine would be a shower shave using a 3-blade cart and whatever soap I was currently using, worked by hand into as much of a froth as I could muster.)"

Been there & done that many times...sometimes with a 6-year-old Venus woman-razor. Amazing how long they kept an edge.

"How much money would we have to chip into a kitty to get you to post a video of you doing a full, three pass shave with Lava?"

I'd do it for free, and with a cheap twin-blade disposable. I think I might still have one stashed somewhere.

6. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I use Ivory with Aloe, not the normal Ivory, at least twice a week. It lathers up great and has a nice Aloe smell.

7. John Ruschmeyer

Do you load the brush or use it like a shave stick?

8. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

I cut it to fit a mug I have, mug is actually squared off on one side fits perfectly. I add water to brush and swirl it to a runny liquid and drain it into my lather bowl with a pea size of Nivea shaving cream. Works great.

9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Got to try lemon gojo !

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

mmm...lemony...

11. John Ruschmeyer

I was looking at the bar of original Ivory in my bathroom this morning and decided it qualified as a well-hydrated "puck", so I decided to try shaving with it. (I've actually done it before, so no big deal, really.) I hit it with a well-moistened boar brush and worked it like it owed me money. Ended up with a decent lather that lasted through my entire one-pass shave.

On the whole, not the best shaving soap, but also not the worst- probably comparable to a middle-of-the-road Williams experience. Definitely performed better than some so-called shaving soaps (I'm looking at you here, Marvy!).

12. Frankrw

Frankrw New Member

Wow this thread is long and have not read each post. I too am looking use regular soap for shaving as Ibxant buy shaving soap in my country. Today I bought a bar if Johnson baby soap, it has glycerine in it, since it's baby soap it should not dry the skin. I will try it out tomorrow when I shave, but have any of you used baby soap ? Any feedback please.

13. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

My father says they just used whatever soap or cream was the cheapest. They didn't care or put as much thought into it like the hobby it is now I guess lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankrw likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My Brut bar soap works okay. Not as good as actual soaps but it'd do in a pinch, esp. when mixed with Cremo or something similar.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

seems like the "bath soaps" put out by Stirling, Maggard, etc...are right in between. Appearance of bar soap, but they lather almost like shave soaps.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree. Many artisan bath soaps lather like shaving soaps. I recently tried the SV 7th anniversary Bath soap and it looked like shaving lather, very nice.

17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I always keep some cheapo backup shave soap like williams and arko. Of course, if your budget is such that you have to wait to get a $10-$15 soap...then buddy, i sympathize.

My best advice would be to get low budget soaps or to get some of those mama bear soap samples...they are crazy cheap.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

to follow up-I forgot to add Rte 66-sorryh @Salty Belle !