Does Average Joe hate sandalwood?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Grick, May 1, 2019.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

The description is spot on: the sandalwood base is definitely there, but enhanced with a spicy aroma. Like all Suavecito pomades, the smell lasts all day long and you don't even need a perfume, though there is an unscented edition.

Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  2. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

This one does.

Grick, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Depends on who produces the sandalwood scents. They are not all the same.

4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I love Fines, and the smell of Proraso, but the latter gives me a rash :(.

johnnyflake, Frijolero and DaltonGang like this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I grabbed a couple of these recently at a local Indian grocery. Awesome smelling stuff.
    IMG_20190502_162314_compress_44.jpg

IMG_20190502_162322_compress_90.jpg

6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

There is an Indian market not far from my place of employment. I'm tempted to go check it out myself.

brit, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  7. Grick

Grick Active Member

brit likes this.
  8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Sandalwood is a funny thing because each one is different and everyone has their own perception of what a proper sandalwood should be. Im personally a big fan of sandalwood because Im a Buddhist and in many Buddhist temples they burn sandalwood inscence, so the scent reminds me of a being in a temple.
    Im dont know if Im an expert on what a, "proper" sandalwood should be but I personally prefer ones that are more woodsy and musky than ones that are sweeter. I know that a lot of people like Fine Absolut Santal but Im not a fan of it because to me, it doesnt smell like a sandalwood. Same with Soap Commander Sandalwood. Its just kind of meh to me. I am a big fan of Captain's Choice Sandalwood and all the the sandalwood variations that PAA has done.

9. brit

brit in a box

i like the proraso red sandalwood..cyril r salter sandalwood and tfs crazy sandalwood are nice as well, tobs is good.

Frijolero, b1hart and johnnyflake like this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The average Joe does not hate sandalwood. If it was not widely favored, products with sandalwood scents would not be produced.

ghostlife, Frijolero, b1hart and 2 others like this.
  11. Grick

Grick Active Member

But canned goo or mass market after shaves rarely ever have a sandalwood scent. And we're not average Joe, we're shaving nerds.

12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Very true. But I suspect cost is more the reason for that. Those items tend to be churned out as cheaply as possible. A lot of guys would probably like a sandalwood shaving cream. But how many would even try it when it costs twice as much as everything it's sitting next to?

Shaver X, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i imagine sandalwood soaps and such were higher end products back in the day, like the 3 t's products in england..before the creams..

Shaver X, wristwatchb and Frijolero like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

But the question in the OP was if the average Joe hated sandalwood, not shaving nerds. Sandalwood soaps and creams are sold by Truefitt & Hill, Taylors of Old Bond Street, Geo. F. Trumper, Proraso Red, D.R. Harris, Crabtree & Evelyn, Cremo, Cyril R. Salter, and probably many more. Sandalwood colognes have been around forever, long before the wetshaving revival in the early 2000s. That would not be the case if lots of average Joes disliked the scent. Shaving nerds might be an important market segment, but we are likely no more than a tiny fraction of the overall customer base.

As for the canned shaving gels, they are made on a massive scale. Using the least expensive scents that men like would make the most sense.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Frijolero and brit like this.
  15. Grick

Grick Active Member

I do believe that sandalwood is an acquired taste, like bay rum, and young people are gonna be put off it initially.

Frijolero and brit like this.