Does the color of your cartridge matter...?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Darkbulb, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Sure, this goes way beyond functionality and necessity but, I appreciate the style and look of many safety razors out there so why should I care 'less' about how my cartridge razor looks like?

The inherent challenge with cartridge razors is that the head is a significant part of the overall look - but it's not something that is part of the permanent setup as they are disposed off. I'm thinking mostly of cartridge razors where the exchangeable cartridge has a significant impact on the overall appearance.

Let's take Mach 3 razors as an example (as I just got two handles so it's near and dear to me).

Once fitted with the cartridge, the head becomes a very big part of the razor and how it looks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cartridges above are btw Mach 3 Turbos.

I'll be honest in that I think these cartridges looks rather terrible on these particular handles and in an ideal world...I'd love to be able to get a completely black Mach 3 for my C&E handle...and a white one for the T&H one.

Would that make them shave any better? Of course not but part of why I enjoy the wetshaving hobby-collection-thing is that I also find many of these items very visually appealing.

Am I nuts? :)

Bonus question: Are there black and white Mach 3 cartridges?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Trac II used to be black.
    the newer ones were always that blue color.

3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Mach 3 disposables heads are black, they can be removed and attached to a standard or aftermarket handle. Yes, they look aesthetically better if the colours match :).

4. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

For me, nope, I am more into performance than looks. Which is why, I often shave with disposables too.

@Jerry-built Hustler , You might want to answer the OP's question ;)

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I see an opening for after-market cart "re-plating." ;)

gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think small colored, plastic 'sleeves' that covers the colored area on the cartridge could be an option that could be re-used.... hmmm....... :D

7. richgem

"reused" tho, is a problem. Not enough product turn over. :D

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hmm...good point. I'll bring that up with the board.

richgem likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When the Sensor came out, one of them had a white cart that just didn't look right. The woman's version maybe.

10. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Color absolutely matters, since I use aftermarket handles that I appreciate as much for aesthetics as function. Have you ever seen a black Sensor cart on a grey handle, or vice versa? The combination looks positively horrid, since the mount integrates with the cart, and they stand in stark contrast with each other. The M3 is a little better, since the whole head covers the coupler, but it is still easy to see a mismatch if you know what you're looking for.

It's ironic you should post pictures of M3T carts. Those are an older generation. Current-gen M3T carts feature a bright blue head on a light grey mount. They look horrid on my AOS M3 handle, which was designed to go with base black M3 carts. Luckily, for me, I can't tell much if any difference between base and Turbo M3s in terms of performance, so I buy the black because they look better. That they are also less expensive is a bonus.

engrsaks, Kilgore Trout and Darkbulb like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I thought this was a pretty good deal so I have 15 of them on their way to me now....

Update: It seems like the specific product I linked to is sold out. But, the $6 coupon for cartridges is still active but have to be applied to one of these items

12. Jerry-built Hustler

I guess it pays to check Amazon's pricing on a daily basis. Last time I checked was about a month ago, and the 15-packs of base carts were almost $30. I would have jumped on this deal had I known about it.

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

My Kingdom for a day-glo cart.

pvtbanks likes this.
  14. richgem

He said day, he said day, he said day-glo. Day-glo come and we wanna go home.

:D

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  15. Jerry-built Hustler

Check out the M3 Sensitive. It's not too far from day-glo.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I want whatever you're drinking

richgem likes this.
  17. richgem

Maybe if you share some cookies...

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well my sensitive sense of style was finally mollified by getting some black Mach3 cartridges.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  19. Jerry-built Hustler

That's the way it ought to be. Let us know if you can feel any difference between the two cartridges.

engrsaks likes this.
  20. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

That is some "attention to detail" you have there, Mr. Nathan. :)