Does this stuff work??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by thomthom49, Feb 8, 2011.

1. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have not tried it.

Based on the blurb from the "science bit" tab, I bet it is an alcohol solution.

It probably cannot hurt, but I doubt I would buy it.

3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

This is the sort of thing that pegs my B.S. meter. It probably appeals to cartridge users in particular because of the high price of many cartridges. There have been a number of gadgets and homemade methods touted as extending cartridge life. Almost any product or method will accumulate anecdotal evidence from people who claim that it works for them.

About that "science bit", the purpose of stropping is generally thought to be that it straightens out irregularities in the edge of the blade, which is why you strop both sides. Maybe there's a buildup of crystals, too, I don't know, but does this solution do anything that a quick dip in isopropyl alcohol wouldn't? (as Jeff implies) I don't know what isopropyl costs in the UK, but it's pretty cheap here. In any case, if you use an SE or DE safety razor, you can always take the blade out and palm strop it.

Mind you, I don't have proof that ordinary isopropyl alcohol does anything to extend blade life, and I'm not sure about palm stropping either, but they seem equally plausible.

But no, I haven't tried the product advertised, so can't say definitely that it doesn't work.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

it's probably 91% alcohol plus something else to mask the smell. I soak my razor in 91% alcohol while cleaning out the brush just because it's supposed to help control bacteria if your succeptible to razor bumps and it supposed to help with hard water deposits on the blade edge. According to the rumor. At less than 2.00$ a bottle that lasts me 2 months doesn't hurt me.