Dog Lovers

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Ryan B, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is Maddox, our grand dog. He had to be adopted out because of our grandson's allergies. He was a good dog.
    maddox.jpg

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I live in a bldg. that doesn't allow dogs as pets. I love dogs-family had 3 as I was growing up. I sponsor a dog who now is at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah. I was there myself on a tour, but couldn't see my "sponsee". The dog is one of those who was part of Michael Vick's dogfighting ring, but he's gradually learning to be friendly.

3. Paul Turner

I bet Maddox gave you a lot of fun....great-lookin fella.

4. Paul Turner

I was at my supermarket about a year ago, and watched the action of a newfie being "negotiated" into the van of the family it belonged to. Fun to watch.

5. Paul Turner

I'm with you 100%...the lack of regard for the dogs is what is so bad. Good for you and your wife to rescue your dogs...that's what I'll do first time I have the chance.

Heloguy likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

I'm so glad I found this site(with help from a regular "shaver" of course!). Good to see you here.

crackstar likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

I'm so glad you rescued a pit bull! They've been given such a bad name, especially thanks to dogfighting rings. But with TLC they can be great pets.

crackstar likes this.
  8. Monbonlupin

Monbonlupin Active Member

This is Edgar our Basset Hound, in the foreground.
    Fichier 15-09-30 16 29 14.jpeg

Paul Turner and crackstar like this.
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

OMG, I LOVE Basset Hounds - they're so sweet! :love055:

Paul Turner and Monbonlupin like this.
  10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Here's an update for all you dog lovers. I wish I could post a picture, but Tapatalk says the files are too big to post.

Last month, I took in a Black Mouth Cur Mix as a foster dog. We named him Dunkin because he was found in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot sitting near the entrance probably waiting for scraps. He was seen wandering around until a nice lady invited him into her car and she then took her to my place of employment to get checked out by the vet. He had a clean bill of health and got updated on his shots. The vet estimated his age to be around 18 months- 2 years old. The first night I met him, I knew he was special. I took him out to go to the bathroom and stretch his legs and knew right away he was great. He didn't pull on the leash, he didn't jump like crazy, he hardly ever barks, he's pretty well trained, and would rather sleep. He is also a good companion for my dog Caesar. They aren't inseparable, but they get along well and don't try to kill each other. The only time this dog barks is whenever he has to be put away in his kennel, whenever he thinks I'm leaving him, and if something is wrong.

This dog is super protective over me. At work, there was a huge dog fight and he started going after dogs that were barking at me as I was breaking up the fight. He also squared up against a Boxer that kept stalking me, biting at my hand, and barking NONSTOP at me. Curs are fearless dogs and won't back down from any threat. There are reports of these dogs taking on coyotes and wild hogs and winning those fights or die trying. He hates cats though. Since he's a hound dog, he makes a high pitched whining noise whenever he wants to go after something. Even then, he's not that difficult to control and is a pretty good listener.

I might have done something good for a stray dog and I think he sees that. Will I keep him? That is a difficult question to answer. I want to, but two dogs can get very expensive.

crackstar likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Thank goodness you took in this dog. Good luck with your decision about whether to keep him.

Ryan B likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Love the couch potato one(but tough to choose). :)

13. Paul Turner

I hope you spend the second Monday and Tuesday in February watching the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, as I do. :)

14. Paul Turner

I'm sure Cal is the great dog you describe, but in the photo, I would have to say I'm not sure I want to be in an argument with him. Now if that is a SMILE, forget what I said, lol.

15. Paul Turner

My condolences, KLF...such a nice-looking dog she was.

16. Paul Turner

do you remember the comic strip Fred Basset?

17. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Happened to be looking to add anther hound to the family when I foun my German short hair, Duncan. Named after the dune character, friend of Paul. He's been a great dog. Just a big softie; he'll walk up to a stranger and put his head in their lap and give them the hound eyes.

Wish I had the opportunity to train him on birds when he was young. He has a great nose and a decent point when You work it some. When he was young, he would naturally back our weim during play. Unfortunately, he has always been noise shy. If had worked smart early, he could have been a decent bird dog. He's been a great companion and has had a very good life. At 13, he's got a few problems. (avatar was taken ~7 years ago?.). Anyway buddy is a heck of a dog. Pointed a squirel by scent at 20 yards yesterday morning!

Love all the versatile hunting breeds, but have a special spot for GSPs...

18. Paul Turner

Our English Springer was our favorite pet(we had him from the mid 60's-71, the poor fella got hit by a car).

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Phantom absolutely adores Floppy, my sister-in-law's and brother-in-law's Basset Hound puppy. The other day she was at our house and she came right over to me, jumped up on the couch and started slurping my face. Phantom came over too and the next thing, the two of them were licking each other and cuddling. She's also crazy about Ilana and Corinne and they love her too. This puppy is so sweet-natured - it's impossible to resist her!

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Jeff, I hope you aren't planning to do a shave video with dogs in the area!!! :)

crackstar likes this.