Dollar Shave Club

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Justin Linker, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Guys, a few years ago I was subscribed to DSC for 3 months. My card expired on file and I never rejoined. I'm thinking about rejoining.

I know carts are not too popular around these parts, however, one of the coolest part of being a member of this club is the humor and not knowing what to expect. My first box was loaded with humorous welcome cards and just hilarity. My next box came with a sample of Dr. Carver's Shave Butter and a sample of One Wipe Charlie's (Google it). Very generous company. The final month they went as far as to send me a T-shirt with the DSC logo. Very, very generous. I love the vibe I get and the razor blades are pretty good as well. I feel this is a company I'd love to support.

What do you guys think of DSC?

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think if you like the razor blades, just order your cartridges from Dorco and cut out the middleman (DSC).

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What Ryan said. And dorco gives you a ton of coupons and sales once you're on their email list.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

+1
    I don't understand why people buy from subscription sites when they are available as private label products. Purchasing from Dorco direct is almost twice as much as from a supermarket in the UK.

5. Justin Linker

Yeah but Dorco doesn't have the mighty Shave Butter and free drink at any bar cards.

engrsaks likes this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yep. All the other stuff is just fluff unless you just want mail once a month.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I tried DSC a year or so ago just to see how it was. I agree, they've got humor and they send some interesting samples.

If you like paying for gimmicks, stay with them. If you don't, just order from Dorco. It sounds like a part of the fun for you is the gimmicks, so go for it. Getting a fun box every month is more entertaining than getting a lame box from Dorco, and the price isn't all that different.

Omaney likes this.
  8. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but when you consider that a single Fusion cartridge lasts you a whole month, you save money going with Gillette's subscription service.

(Just kidding.)

engrsaks likes this.
  9. Justin Linker

After paying for shipping for Dorco carts compared to DSC it almost breaks even. I love the gimmick. I'm a nerd.

Mr. Shaverman and engrsaks like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Who else would be an official link tester? :rofl:

Justin Linker likes this.
  11. Justin Linker

You guys need me.

engrsaks and richgem like this.
  12. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Free drinks at any bar? wow!

13. mylesc1234

mylesc1234 Active Member

That shave butter was useless on my face. I nicked myself so many times with that stuff

Justin Linker likes this.
  14. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

Dorco gives FREE shipping to the US on orders or $10 or more. I just received some 2 blade cartridges. You can order 2 handles (that will fit an Atra cartridge), 24 blades with a 25% off coupon $ 16.73 to your door.

I use these 2 blades for cleanup because I am still working on my technique. I use a Tech, EJ89 or Lord L6 for my first 2 passes. I have enough to last for quite a while now.

engrsaks likes this.
  15. engrsaks

So the main advantage that DSC has over Dorco is the decrease in or elimination of shipping cost?

16. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

DSC offers free shipping on all razors except their twin blades (they charge $2 shipping for the twins). Dorco offers free shipping on orders over $10 in the USA. So, for US customers, I see shipping as pretty much a wash.

engrsaks likes this.
  17. engrsaks

So in the end, it all boils down to loyalty to the brand. If I were happy with DSC, spending couple of extra dollars would never have bothered me because the prices don't go beyond the comfort zone.

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  18. Justin Linker

I've never had issues with it. I went through a tube of it a couple of years ago. It's a non-foaming cr....butter so when I have a chinstrap it's easy to navigate around it.

engrsaks likes this.
  19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sounds like to me, a vehement anti cartridge guy, that if you are having fun with it, and getting a decent shave.... Have at it!!

20. Justin Linker

Thanks! I'm not anti anything as far as shaving (Except maybe GFT new formula soap) I can get a good shave with any gear that's thrown at me. My life goal is to get BBS with a spoon :p

178-bplatoon and engrsaks like this.