Dollar Tree $1 Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by gzp, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I looked at our Dollar Tree, but they only had disposables and carts.

Herm2502 and sdguero like this.
  2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Mine too, just the execrable Barbasol disposables.

Herm2502, sdguero and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Dollar Tree near me only had shaving cream. There wasn't even a disposable razor in sight. I'll try another Dollar Tree in the next town.

Btw, those stores are a total mess!

sdguero likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just got one at Big Lots, buck fifty. Construction is decent, doors and bars all seem aligned. Finish was better than I expected. Blade, outside the razor, took arm hairs off with no problem. Yeah, I gotta try it, and I bet BL will sell out of them before long.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Morning's shave was quite acceptable. Wet stropped the blade on my arm (I was in the tub and figured it's about to get wet anyway). I have a beard now for Fall but always keep the neck clean, so that's what I did, only a day's growth. Neck feels just fine, no irritation, no nicks. Took me about 2 passes to get it pretty much BBS with mug and brush. Feel of the blade reminds me of a basic Dorco.

The razor is definitely metal handled (what metal, not sure...feels somewhat heavier than aluminum would). It performed quite well, tightened up nice and even. Maybe I got one that isn't defective but it is more than worth a buck and a half.

sdguero, PLAla and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice write up (except the tub part). I'll check the local Big Lots for one.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll edit "tub" next time and substitute "lavatory."

PLANofMAN, Jim99 and PLAla like this.
  8. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Dollar Tree near me was a bust. Nothing but disposable razors...
    but BIG LOTS came through.
    Pacific_DE_razor_Barbasol.jpg
    Got the 5 count Pacific DE BLADES- with razor- for $1.50 each.
    Also had the Barbasol Original for $1.35/10 ounce can. Best price I have seen.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll be using the razor and blades for tonight's shave. I unpackaged the razor and have been trying to figure out all I can about it. It is very similar to the Weishi that is more commonly sold as the Micro One or VDH, but is lighter. The head assembly is especially cheaper and lighter. As for the handle....the jury is out for a little bit on that. I have it in the freezer at the moment. When I took it out of the blister pack I noticed the head was colder than the handle. And, with my Weishi in one hand and this one in the other, the handles feel like different material. I'm wondering if the handle on this razor isn't plastic instead of metal. The "freezer test" should tell more by allowing me to see if the head really gets "metal cold" while the handle doesn't. We'll see.

The TTO mechanism is a bit rough on it with one definite rough spot but it seems to open and close fully in spite of it so it should be no problem. Now if only the blades will give me a halfway decent shave. Am I asking too much?

Linuxguile, gorgo2, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I thought that the package said that the handle was stainless (ROFL). I think you may be surprised by the blades, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The package does say Stainless Steel handle. And, the freezer test does prove that it's metal. However, a magnet will not stick to the handle. It does stick to the head and slightly to the very bottom of the handle but not to the handle itself. There's some stainless there somewhere, but I'm just not sure where.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

One more note of interest. I checked Ebay for this razor. Yep, two different sellers have it....one for $15.00 plus $3 shipping, the other for $13.79 plus $6.29 shipping. Seriously?!?!

gorgo2, AGHisBBS and sdguero like this.
  13. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Really? That's a rip-off! I don't mind paying a buck or two for curiosity's sake but that's crazy!

gorgo2 and NCoxSTL like this.
  14. EnglishChannel

Just a note: the term "stainless steel" represents a very broad group of metals. Some formulas are less ferromagnetic, and magnets may not "stick".
    Other non-steel metals like aluminum & copper are not ferromagnetic, and would behave in a similar manner around a magnet.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Excellent info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

EnglishChannel and gorgo2 like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

found one selling for $2.25 + $2.99 shipping................

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

kevin.slavey, gorgo2 and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. slats6nyr01

slats6nyr01 New Member

Haven't seen this in the local Dollar Trees by me. Will have to check again. For a buck, what the hell...

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. EnglishChannel

SHAVE REVIEW
    I used this budget razor this morning for a quick, efficient BBS shave. I found that this razor is completely capable of providing a close clean shave.
    Here are the shave details:
    RAZOR: Pacific Quality Stainless DE Razor (Handle)
    BLADE: Pacific (5) Double Edge blades - with FREE handle (see above)!
    PREP: hot water wash with Ivory Soap and rinse
    BRUSH: NO
    PRESHAVE: NO
    CREAM: BARBASOL Pacific Rush
    POST SHAVE: hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Pinaud Clubman (not pictured)
    Total BBS with the Barbasol. Very nice cushion, slickness, and moisture.
    Pacific_Razor_Barbasol_Pacific_Rush.jpg
    The razor is well constructed of all metal, looks sturdy, and I found my example to have good fit and finish.
    This is an aggressive razor, with a good deal of blade exposure, and very good feedback (sound & feel) during the shave.
    The TTO mechanism feels a little rough in operation, but I will put some oil on the works to see if that smoothens out with use in the future.
    It locks down the blade with authority, and I had no issues with it loosening up during the shave.

The blade is double wrapped, unmarked, and as used out of the package, provided a good BBS shave. I did not hand strop or use pre-shave oil.
    The blade does fit snugly over the TTO post. Make sure it is fully seated before closing the action.
    Pacific_Razor_and_Blade.jpg
    I enjoyed this shave. It was quick, efficient, and very close. No issues, no cuts, no weepers.
    The Barbasol provided every bit of slickness, moisturizing, and protection that I needed.

If you see these razors - either at a Dollar Tree, or at a Big Lots - for less than a couple bucks, I recommend you give them a try.
    Just be aware that the geometry is aggressive. Maybe not the best introduction for a new DE shaver.
    BUT... I think you could certainly do worse.

I am anxious to see how this razor does with a better blade - or even just better prep and higher grade pre-shave and creams.
    It will be in my rotation for a while, so I am going to find out.

I also intend to use one of these unmarked blades in one of my better razors. When I do, I will report back.
    May take awhile. I tend to use my blades for more than a few shaves before changing out.
    Stay tuned.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Amazing where Mr. Gillette's technology has finally ended up, with a metalloid razor that's cheaper to buy than many current production blades. Full circle.

I'm going to stock up on these. Not to sell but to give away. I've used worse razors and worse blades!