*DONE* Gillette TTO PIF

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by BBS, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

So far
    1. @PatrickA51
    2. @Pilotcld
    3. @Spock
    4. @Z-2
    5. @blashe

Entry deadline is tonight midnight entrant's timezone.

First place and second place will be drawn in order based upon assigned numbers using a random sequence generator.

Z-2 and Pilotcld like this.
  2. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Agreed... Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Winners are
    1st place @blashe / 40s style super speed, no date code 1947-1950
    2nd place @Pilotcld / flare tip super speed, date code Z 1 1954

I'll mark the thread done once razors are mailed, received and reviews posted.

Pilotcld and blashe like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I've decided I am going to offer up a booby prize for the remaining contestants. I have another 40s style super speed though not as in good condition as the one claimed by @blashe. It is a 1950 NDC but has some plating loss. It is user grade and shave ready.

To make this interesting before I do another drawing I am going to give @Pilotcld a choice of keeping the flare tip and calling it a day or forfeiting the flare tip and going into drawing for a chance at the booby prize. Once he responds I'll do the drawing accordingly. If he decides to keep the flare tip then winner takes the booby prize, if not then first place gets their choice and second place gets the remaining razor again.

Same rules apply.

If the winner doesn't want the booby prize, I'll keep drawing with the remaining contestants until no one wants it.

6. Pilotcld

This is a great idea! I’m super happy that I won, but let’s play roulette and give it another spin just for fun!! I like gambling!
    Good luck again everyone!!

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The booby prizing drawing contestants.
    1. @PatrickA51
    2. @Pilotcld
    3. @Spock
    4. @Z-2

Same deal winners, will be drawn using a random number sequence generator.
    1st place gets the choice of the booby prize or flare tip.
    2nd place gets the other razor.

Pilotcld likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The winners of the booby prize drawing

1st place
    @Pilotcld

2nd place
    @Z-2

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

@Pilotcld has decided to take the 40s style super speed, NDC 1950.
    @Z-2 gets the flare tip super speed, date code Z 1 1954 pending confirmation.

For anyone not familiar with these razors the notched US made Gillette 40s style super speeds all shave the same.

10. Pilotcld

Got my razor in the mail when I came home from my trip!! It looks great! I’m giving myself 2-3 days to grow more than just a 5 o’clock shadow and then I will give a solid review of the razor!
    The comparison will be with my shavettes and the Gillette Tuckaway that I have been shaving with :). I may try to compare it to my Gillette New Short Comb as well. I’m excited to try this TTO!

Enrico likes this.
  11. Pilotcld

Took the 40’s style super speed with me on my last four day trip and basically shaved with it every day. It’s a really good shaver. I always thought it might be hard to clean out TTO’s because there wasn’t much of a gap, and then I realized that there is a big gap (the bottom). Very easy to clean out.
    It’s a great shaver. I’m still working on the angles to get a great close to BBS shave. By the end of the shave I felt like I got a pretty good, smooth shave. I did realize that I’d have to shave again the next morning. This is with my two normal passes of WTG and XTG.
    This is new for me because, with my Gillette Tuckaway and New Short Comb I only need to shave every other day. This could very well be due to the fact that I haven’t found just the right angle with this razor. The one spot I noticed I’ve had a hard time getting the shave close on is underneath my chin, which hasn’t been an issue with my other two razors. I’m using the same blades, brush, and soap so that the only change I’ve had has been the razor. I also noticed that it’s harder to get underneath my large schnoz because of the rounded TTO open.
    I will continue to use this razor every other trip until I can master a close to BBS shave with it :).
    Thanks again @BBS :). I hope this has been a good honest review

Enrico likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Under the chin is tends be a hardest part to get smooth. When I evaluate without using technique that is one area I use to judge how well the razor can shave not how well I can shave with that razor. You might need an against the grain pass with this razor to get the job done or some j-hooking. If not ATG try about a 45 degree ATG going from the back of the chin up towards the nose. Use your hand and push against the skin to feel which exposes the most hair on the chin and neck and shave it at that angle.

Pilotcld likes this.
  13. Pilotcld

That’s a great explanation about how to judge a razor. I like that. I say that because I haven’t had issues under the chin with my other two. I will give it a shot with the 45 ATG under the chin. I’m always cautious with ATG passes because that’s usually when I run into razor burn and ingrown hairs under my chin. XTG has always been ok, but I’ll give it a shot!

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Use slow deliberate strokes, let the tug and audible feedback if any determine how much pressure, length of the pull.

Try a light vinegar splash aftershave to neutralize the razor burn. It burns when you first apply regardless of mild or not razor but it neutralizes the burn in the skin like sunburn. Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean the skin doesn't have burn. If you sweat alot you'll know what I mean by burn on the face or apply on a 1 pass and 3 pass see if the vinegar splash feels any different.

15. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

I received my razor on Monday. It was very clean itself, but I do some additional cleaning and polishing. This is very solid built model, with good balance and grip.

I was so excited, so tried it the same night with shaving foam and fresh Derby Extra blade. Usually I shave morning, but was curious to see how it performs.

Wednesday morning and today I used Arko stick and badger brush, because they are my go-to setup. I wanted to focus only on my razor technique.

All I can say is, that this is a nice mild razor. Perfect for daily driver. My beard is very thick and I do 2 passes usual (WTG and XTG), and some light touch-ups on my chin. ATG is big no for me. I`m sure with the time shaves will gets better and better.

For me, this Gillette Super Speed flare tip will become my go-to razor for sure.
    Thanks again to @BBS for his kindness and opportunity to have this little gem :eatdrink047:

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Officially closing the review portion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.