**DONE**PIF: Mystery Straight Razor— spooky! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by HolyRollah, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin_Hernandez

Edwin_Hernandez New Member

Im in...this could be a first for me!

2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Very nice PIF, Kevin. I think I qualify on all counts.

3. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I really, really wish i was in for this one. But sadly Denmark isn't part of the USA, but then again, we have a Starbucks, doesn't that count as being colonised?

"• You are not afraid of the dark, circus clowns, nor mysterious shaving paraphernalia."

I am thinking of one day trying a straight razor, but is there some kind of strange intitiation for first time straight razor users? One that involves shaving in the dark and...... I have no idea how the clown fits into this.

HolyRollah and macaronus like this.
  4. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

It is a very generous pif and good luck to all participants :)

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

After 32 years of teaching high school, I'm not afraid of much. So what the heck; I'm in.

Darkbulb and HolyRollah like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was going to say, Sara, after THAT HS gauntlet, NUTHIN' should scare ya! :happy088:

Sara-s likes this.
  7. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

I'm in.

I do meet the requirements of CONUS, new to straight shaving, post count and I'm not afraid of mysterious shaving items or the dark. Clowns are a little creepy but I'm not scared of them either.

It's very nice of you to do this. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Sara-s likes this.
  8. badabing10

badabing10 Active Member

my name get lost? come on!!!!? haha check again thanks

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Per the stipulations outlined in my initial post...
    You're actually getting close to the required amount. Once you exceed it, your name will be added. Thanks

10. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

Please do add my name when you have a moment and thank you again for your generosity.

David

11. razrmnky

razrmnky Active Member

I'm in. Hope I don't get tetanus.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Added.
    No worries on the tetanus. :cool: The blade cleaned up rather nicely.
    I'll post pics of the new & improved razor as it nears completion.
    Six days left to enter to be eligible for the drawing!

13. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

Any chance you can show us or share the process that you use to get it cleaned up and looking good again?

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I havent taken any pics of the restore progress yet, but essentially with the blade, I've done the following:
    • Gave the blade a thorough initial wipe down with mineral spirits. Then a good rubdown with metal polish and a coarse cotton rag. This process removed a lot of the surface gunk, loose rust and other nasty bits, but the really dense buildup remained.
    On to the buffer: I started with 85-grit greaseless compound with a cotton sisal wheel, and progressed up the grit scale (180, 400, 600); then switched to emery and finally stainless compound. This process removed all of the blade rust and surface buildup. All that remained visible on the blade was some very minor pitting in the areas that had the densest corrosion. It really turned in to a beauty of a blade! :)

I'm debating now whether or not to round over the square point :think002: or leave the blade in its original form.
    Since this razor is destined for a beginner, there are some who claim it best to start learning with a round point vs a sharp square-pointed razor. Personally, I learned on a square point and, yes, it bit me a few times, but I quickly learned to respect the tip.
    Thoughts?

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm thinking that a round point would be a better starter.

HolyRollah likes this.
  16. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Id say square ... Who ever gets this razor will likely keep it forever as a prized piece of their collection... And like you have said square helps with very fine lines .. Just my thoughts :)

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

Kevin,

Thank you for the information, this really interests me. I've done a few brushes so far but haven't restored a blade yet. I've wanted to pick up a blade and refinish it to see if I can make it look new again. I'll have to pick up a grinder, some buffing wheels and some compounds. I do have a lot of tools but somehow a grinder has escaped me. Can I get everything I need at the local Lowes, Ace or Home Depot? There's a Harbor Freight nearby as well. I assume the emery is referring to sandpaper sheets so please correct me if I'm wrong there. If you can share more detail as to what specifically I would need (maybe a shopping list) or even point me in the right direction I'd certainly appreciate it.

As far as the rounded or squared point goes, sure a rounded point would avoid a couple nicks at first but I guess everyone has to learn sometime. I'd probably leave it square as to not change the blade any more than is actually needed.

Thanks again,
    David

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

David, I recommend a decent buffer vs a shop grinder. You can find a decent buffer (not a grinder) @ Harbor Freight. The tubes of greaseless compounds and wheels Here. It was recommended to me by Glen (Gemstarcustoms.com) to switch out the sisals for the spiral sewn wheels—so this is a change I'll be making. The spiral-sewn are more forgiving on the more delicate blades. The Emery I was referring to is a black buffing compound I use after the greaseless and before the polishing compounds to minimize or remove any leftover scratches before polishing. See Here.

Here's a shot of my initial set-up buffing station...
    [​IMG]

Series of blades after the buffer/compound process. The one blade on the far right still waiting its turn.
    [​IMG]

19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

You know, SWMBO already is convinced I've gone around the bend with my RAD. If I win this and she sees me take a straight to my face, I am likely going to an assisted living facility.

I hope they have pie.

ObiDon and HolyRollah like this.
  20. dfoulk

dfoulk Active Member

Really nice set up there, thanks so much for sharing,
    This is very helpful and will get me started gathering supplies. It looks like there is a lot to pick up to do it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.