*DONE* Russian Spring PIF

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by NCoxSTL, May 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes, there is that rumor, and yes, I had it documented at one point and it has disappeared off the face of the earth. Not sure who the competitors to the Cartel are but if I find them, well, let's just say Yuri will have a good night.

AGHisBBS, JR Reyes, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I got a comfortable smooth two pass shave this morning with the Rubie. If this is the worst blade in the lot, I'm going to be a happy camper

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Well, if I use all of these blades in all of my daily razors, it might take a long time to finish my evaluation of them. So I will have to narrow it down to these three razors to represent what I use. 1 - Gillette Flair Tip (Z3) 2 - Gillette Slim Adjustable (L2) 3 - Custom Gillette Short Comb (20's head). I will be using my own PSO and soap and Avon Black Suede After Shave Balm. Running low on my Stetson Black After Shave Balm and got the Avon's, six for $13.00 on Ebay. Oh yeah, all will be cold water shaves.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. jimjo1031

Shave #1 - Flair Tip and Rubie blade. Not a bad shave just a few more strokes on my trouble areas under the chin and neck, and a little bit of irritation. Nothing really that would stop me from using them, depending on how many shaves I can get with one blade.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    RyX likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

Shave #2 - Custom Gillette Short Comb and Rubie blade. Actually better than with the Flair Tip. Smooth, irritation free and went through my trouble areas a lot better.

6. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Our Weim bitch often sat like tihis. I always thought it was kind of dainty for her personality... Lol.

mrchick likes this.
  7. mrchick

I switched to the Rapira Swedish this morning and ended up getting a great dolphin smooth shave. I did feel the alum but was very happy with the performance.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Shave #3 - Gillette Slim and Rubie blade. Since I usually use this razor on beard growths with two or more days, I kept it on setting three for all three passes. The shave was real close to the one I had with the open comb. Smooth and irritation free. On a side note, I'll be taking some days off from evaluating these blades cause I'll be doing some testing on the blades I received from the Continuing Budget Blade PIF.

9. mrchick

Day two on the Rapira Swede and still liking it. Very nice smooth shave.

10. mrchick

Neal, I think I might have figured out why these two blades rank together on your list
    [​IMG]

11. mrchick

@NCoxSTL have you seen this before? They appear to be the same blades in different boxes.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've heard both sides. They are different because of coating, and they are the same, but aimed at different markets. :signs002:
    My Russian is not good, but they basically read:
    RAPIRA
    SUPERSTEEL
    For what that's worth.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    AGHisBBS and mrchick like this.
  13. mrchick

Thank you. I can't tell a difference when shaving. I assumed the translation meant, "try this one too, gullible Американская"

AGHisBBS, George X and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

[​IMG]
    Look familiar?

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and George X like this.
  15. mrchick

Yes. I blame Putin.

16. jimjo1031

Ok, back again. Since I did an evaluation on the Rapira pink from another PIF, I'll just put down my results here also...... First shave with the Rapira blade. First pass I felt some tugging, but the second pass was a little better, but I decided to add some PSO before my third pass, just in case. All was good, very slight irritation on my trouble area, but nothing to worry about. All in all, not a bad shave...... Shave #2 with the Rapira, a two pass shave, usual stuff, cold water. All went pretty well, irritation free and a pretty smooth shave. Better than most two pass shaves.... These were done with my usual stuff, Custom open comb Gillette, my PSO, my soap, synthetic Maggard's knot on my handle and Avon after shave balm, all done with cold water. Basically this blade provided good shaves, better than the Rubie and got better as they went along.

17. jimjo1031

Today's the day I decided to try out the Sputnik blade and visit an old friend, my Gillette Flair Tip (Z3). This is the second Gillette TTO that I bought, after the Slim and I can usually tell if I am using a crappy blade or not by using this razor. Well, I can tell you this, it was a nice, mild and pleasant experience. No bleeders, irritation free and at first I was wondering if I ever put a blade in the razor. No tugging or pulling what so ever with a close and smooth shave. Even after putting on the Avon Black Suede after shave balm there wasn't even a hint of stinging, which usually happens.

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Sputnik is top tier sharp for me. I really enjoy them.

19. jimjo1031

Shave #2 with the Sputnik blade. After lathering up the soap, I added a small amount of Proraso Green cream for a touch of menthol. There was no difference with this shave compared to the first one. All went well and had a really smooth shave......

Robyflexx likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

First of all, I did more shaves with the Sputnik blade and every one was like the other shaves I had with that blade. Now, on to the Ladas blade shave #1. Now from what I've read about the Ladas blade, I figured it would be close to the Sputnik in mildness but maybe a bit sharper. So I used the same Flair Tip, as I used on the Sputnik blade, and found that to be true. While it is indeed sharper, for me anyway, it gave me a mild and a slightly closer shave without any irritation, and I shaved at a kind of fast pace. It didn't bother me at all and I recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.