Done with Clubman?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by wristwatchb, Feb 22, 2015.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Pinaud bottle in place of the Dos Equis bottle. Cost me a mint to get him back for a second photo session. ;)

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

aahhh, gotcha.

3. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

I consider myself quite lucky, my wife loves Clubman, the Veg, and especially Special Reserve. Distilled manliness in a bottle. She is an angel, and also regards me as an aspiring curmudgeon. Special Reserve is definitely the most manly, the Clubman is the most classic. Clubman defines "classic barbershop" to me, with the talc scent background. I think it smells also like Hoppe's No. 9, which makes me positively misty eyed with childhood memories of my dad and great uncles. Love them all.

They make me think of this series of commercials: -- (oh, looks like it's time for another shave)

On the other hand, the wife refers to anything Bay Rum as "Bay Rum s--t" describes Speick as "the rotting, fermented armpit hair of a homeless drunk". Pretty sure that meant she did not like it, and did not risk using it again around her. Used it only for travelling. I figured if she thought I was wearing it while away, that she would assume it was driving other women away, and she had nothing to worry about, and thus reverse her position regarding my use of it.

ob1page and Paul Turner like this.
  4. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

No, but that was funny, right there. I don't care who you are, that was funny. :)

6. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

That was funny, yes it was.

7. Paul Turner

I'm done with the Clubman Country Club Aftershave, but went to CVS to get the ORIGINAL A.S. It's a bit better than Country Club, and I like the original bottle better. So that makes me done with "a certain brand of Clubman" only.

8. Paul Turner

I'm looking at Special Reserve as a possibility.

9. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Took stock of my first container of Clubman talc today and when I opened it the little cardboard seal inside the lid was loose so not sure if it had been opened but just want to ask some advice that I've purchased the genuine thing.

It's pink in colour. Was expecting it to be white. But more importantly I was expecting it to smell like cologne or a nice manly scent which is what I've read on various forums. Instead it smelled like carpet freshener

Is this normal?

10. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I've never used Clubman talc, but I believe it would be pinkish to blend in with your skin colour? As for the scent, Clubman is one of those scents in the wetshaving world that divides the waters - I'm certainly not a fan. Carpet freshener is one way of describing it :p

11. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Tried it out last night and couldn't get along with it. The smell of Shake n Vac or some kind of household cleaner was hanging around under my nose all night. Whilst it's not a horrible smell as such, it's not a smell that I want on my skin. When people have been describing this scent as manly I was hoping for more of a fresh deodorant smell not the smell of something I'd clean my floors with. Having paid £15 including delivery this was no better than regular baby talc which I can pick up for around £1.50. Thankfully I got refunded by the seller as I had some shipping issues so managed to get most of my money back.

I guess it's one of those products that you either love or hate.

Bussemand likes this.
  12. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

Just picked up a fresh bottle of Clubman today while we were out, my wife actually likes it. :happy093:

Stop pouring it down the drain and send it to me!

Paul Turner likes this.
  13. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Clubman products, Arko stick and Tabac seem to get a lot of love/hate reactions when it comes to scents. "Manly" and "Barbershop" are some of the most vague descriptions used, and have so many variables, that I would make sure to get a sample before I bought the full product.

Paul Turner likes this.
  14. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Love Pinaud, so does the girl friend. She didn't at first, now she can't get enough of it.

15. Paul Turner

things take time

16. NJDJ

NJDJ Member

Too old school to not have in the den!

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Funny. Even though I didn't like it at first I thought I may as well use it all up seeing as I'd already paid for it. 2 weeks later I'm actually really liking it now. Went back to using regular talc yesterday and missed the smell of my Clubman.

The only drawback I've noticed with Clubman is that it's tinted pink which stains if you get it on anything wet. Some got on the side of my bathtub last week and I hadn't noticed right away. I tried wiping it off and it left a pink stain behind where the talc had been. Presumably when it comes in to contact with a damp surface, the dye leaches out of the talc. I tried wiping it off with a damp cloth but it had stained the side of my bath and eventually it would only come off with bleach. Also got a little on my vinyl floor and that's stained too and it wont just wipe off so now I'm too frightened to use it in case I spill it on anything and it marks it and wont come off.

This is quite concerning. Not only am I worried about this stuff staining anything it comes in to contact with but what's something like that doing to my face?

Does anyone know it they make one that doesn't have the pink dye in it?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.