Don't fear the R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoWeepers, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

You're right! It's about practice... sounds like you've got it nailed too

brit, Somnos and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

The R41 was my second razor after my EJ89lbl which I also love loaded up with a Kai blade. So you can imagine two razors that are polar opposites. Now 37 razors later, vintage and modern I still love the R41. Glad I spent the time learning to tame it because it makes everything a lot easier for me anyway....

RyX and brit like this.
  3. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I own both and though my R41 is a 2013 model I will say this that my 39C is no where near the beast my R41 is....

4. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I want to ask a silly question, I have a gillette red and black comb razor that I really enjoy. But I was curious is it comparable to the muhle r41? The reason that I'm asking is I was considering getting a r41, also my job requires me to shave every day, is the r41 too aggressive for that?

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The R41 is much more aggressive then the New LC. With proper technique you can use the R41 daily without issue.

brit and Somnos like this.
  6. Kevinwine85

Ok, I just placed an order for the r41, so I generally only do 1 with the grain shave pass, since I shave 5 days a week, so it should be good for that?

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Yes indeed. Its probably one of the most capable one pass shavers out there.

brit, GatorJoe and Somnos like this.
  8. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Hey @Linuxguile has it right, the New LC is a milder shaver than the R41, I own both and agree wholeheartedly. If you are doing a single pass WTG it will be perfect. I perfected my technique with an R41 and it is a great razor and a favorite of mine. Enjoy just go light with the touch until you get used to it.

brit, GatorJoe and Linuxguile like this.
  9. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Agree with the two above posts. One pass with the R41 can be done 5 consecutive days without issue.

brit likes this.
  10. Kevinwine85

Ok, it should be arriving today, it said it comes with 1 blade, which I'm probably going to bet it's a feather blade, but to be honest out of all the blades I've tried so far, I've had the best luck with gillette platinum plus, so I'll probably just use one of those in it.

brit likes this.
  11. Kevinwine85

Ok, shave of the evening. Neutrogena razor defense facial scrub, Mitchell's wool fat, vintage Simpson case best badger brush,
    Muhle r41 loaded with gillette platinum plus.

The result was a very close shave, and surprisingly no Nick's or weepers. I will say that my first opinion of the razor is that it was made to do a job, and I believe it will do that job very well, I'm looking forward to getting more time with it. I've heard the concept let the weight of the razor do the work, from my first experience with this razor that really holds true, I feel this razor has very good weight, and in my opinion, theres definitely no need for any pressure.

RyX likes this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I picked one up back in about 2016 out of curiosity. I mated her with a stainless steel bulldog handle and she's a looker. It took me about 10 or so shaves with a few weepers and different blades before I tamed her. I found the Plat Lux worked the best and I got many good error free and non-irritated shaves but I still didn't really enjoy the trip. It just seemed like I was always abit on edge. She's now relegated to the back shelf until I get a notion to roll the dice again.
    IMG_8312 (1).JPG

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  13. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

I picked this one up off the bst a couple months ago, '11 version of the R41. I had a previous one that was severely deteriorated and was on the lookout for another.

A fabulous razor and performer as I couldn't agree more with most of the Gents here concerning the R41. The '13 is a very capable razor that shaves very well with great audible feedback and is quite smooth to be fairly honest. But, the '11 is on another level to be truthful. The cap definitely comes into play as to why it feels more efficient/aggressive imo. There is a bit more blade reveal and you catch more of the cutting edge of the blade on the skin. The narrower cap just gives it that extra ooomph for those that like to feel that bit more blade, like myself. Slightly off of the cap and slowly engage the skin as you start your stroke adjusting as you need to. The window is not very big for adjustment of angle but, it does have some leeway.

The only thing that was off for me was the stock handle as it just doesn't feel balanced and "right". Once I used either of my RR SS handles either the Radio Knob or Super Knurl, exquisite shaves since.

Phenomenal performer and one of the finest in my shave den. If only Muhle would consider a SS version. Nice to dream.....

08959F42-4E66-4D97-8F09-90E756967544.jpeg

PatrickA51, preidy, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Agree fully with your assessment, Gus.

PatrickA51 and Str8on2 like this.
  15. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

For the best of both, put the 2011 topcap on the 2013 baseplate. You won't be disappointed.

PatrickA51 likes this.