Dopp Kits? What's your bag?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Omaney, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

My two nephews are each graduating high school and university this year. I'm putting together a vintage shave kit for each of them. The idea is to introduce them to the best shave while they're "babies". I live 1000 miles away, this is my way of doing something other than the typical card/cash type of gift. I'm trying to give something that they'll look back upon 10-20 years from now and continue to appreciate.
    The razors will be '66 Super Speeds, that's my sister's birth year. I'm including a plethora of blades, a couple of shave sticks, a sampling of other creams, a new Mr. Fine Angel Hair brush, and several aftershave samples. I want to put all of these items in a dopp kit/bag, but I see so many on Amazon, and I cannot decide which one. My idea here is to gift a lifetime type of kit.

So, what say y'all? What's your favorite dopp kit/ bag and why? I'm already into this for about $75 each and would like to keep this at <$150 each.

So, what's your best suggestion? And too, have I forgotten anything?

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lucky Tiger lotion and styptic. Since they're new.

AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Oops. Yeah, styptic is part of the deal.

AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I replaced my dopp bag a few years ago and didn't have the money for an expensive leather one, so I went with Beckel Canvas because I liked the simplicity - neutral colors and no excessive pockets or zippers. I've only used it on a few short trips but don't have any complaints. Think I paid around $25.

[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123 and Spyder like this.
  5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

That's a neat bag.

I'm thinking a little more "heirloom" though...

I may buy one of thise for myself.

6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I use this one from Leatherology. A bit out of the stated budget though.
    IMG_1692.JPG

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Go with the nicest bag you can. I totally second Lucky Tiger products for young guys. Maybe Alum blocks?

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misread and thought your budget was $75 for both. Well my next dopp bag is going to be from Popov Leather but they run $99 each, I have one of his wallets and it's great quality.

9. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Here's a photo of my Dopp Kit. It is called a Penguin. I bought it on eBay a couple years ago for around $30. I hear Wally World sells them too.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Long long ago and in a world that seems far far away, back when flying was fun and the passenger was pampered, if something happened and a flight got canceled or you missed a connection the airline would put you up overnight in a nearby hotel and they gave you a RON (Remain Over Night) kit. It had a safety razor, aftershave, soap, shampoo, shave cream, brush and comb, deodorant, tooth brush and paste.

While the contents of that RON, like the head and handle of George Washington's hatchet have been replaced many times, I still have that very same one from an mid 60s Eastern Airlines flight. Today it has a Kent comb, tube of TOBS Rose shave cream, a Schick Type "J" razor and pack of blades, Herabria Traveler's Choice soap, a hair brush, toothbrush and paste.

beemers, RyX, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

A blade bank would be cool for nephews.

Stu929 and AGHisBBS like this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

They show up on eBay fairly frequently. I almost bid on a TWA one recently because of the included Schick Injector. That and the fact that TWA memorabilia is cool. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Military Surplus shops often have a heavy canvas brass zippered bag. That's where I found mine.
    Military Canvas Dopp.gif

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm using a small zippered bag that originally held a corded rotary shaver. I just stuck into it a brush, tub of arko (used to be a 'beef jerky chew' container), beat up aristocrat, and a tuck of Astra SP. I don't need fancy :)

15. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I just picked up a dopp bag from reddox mfg Its fantastic. Big. Strong. Worth a look

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup..tool bags. They work great for a lot of things.

RyX likes this.
  17. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member