Double Edges & Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LSUfanBR, May 29, 2018.

1. LSUfanBR

LSUfanBR Well-Known Member

Browsing all of the beautiful Double Edge razors people own while browsing the forums makes me really want one but I'm scared to use them as I have a rare form of epilepsy. Is there really that much more of a risk of cutting yourself with a DE vs a cartridge?

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ve cut myself with both.

I’ve also cut myself using a straight razor and using an injector.

I’ve never cut myself with a Shavette but that’s probably because I’ve never used one.

Most of my cuts were because I was in a hurry or just not paying attention. The other factor has been inexperience but I had that when I first used a cartridge razor.

If you’re prone to seizure without warning then I suppose any sharp object is a problem. It also might depend on whether you’re prone to hang onto the object or drop it. Which brings up a safety note; don’t shave in the nude, always keep your equipment covered.

I guess there’s multiple questions. Have you ever seizured while shaving? Do you think handling individual blades should be avoided? Could someone else possibly load and unload blades for you?

Back to your original question though, I suppose there’s a little more risk but that will go away with practice and experience.

Keithmax and LSUfanBR like this.
  3. LSUfanBR

I'm aware during my partial seizures but I just get a little dazed, but sometime I have absence seizures where I'll freeze up and not even realize that I had a seizure. They dont happen often but I never know when they will

Keithmax likes this.
  4. John Beeman

Have you ever tried shaving with an injector razor?

RyX likes this.
  5. LSUfanBR

No sir

6. John Beeman

I've probably got a spare L Type laying around if you think you might want to give it a go. There's a learning curve but lots of guys (me included) get a dandy shave from an injector and you don't have loose blades to be concerned with.

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, Engblom and 3 others like this.
  7. LSUfanBR

I would be interested in trying it out. Thanks for the offer

Keithmax likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another member, @billdog2, has mentioned experiencing tremors in his shave of the day posts. I believe he times his shaves for when his meds are at their best effect to allow for a safer shave. Don't know if this would help in your situation.

9. John Beeman

PM me your address and I’ll send you one.

LSUfanBR likes this.
  10. LSUfanBR

Thanks!

11. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

There are DE razors of all kind of aggressiveness. Some of these razors are so mild that they are (in my opinion) even more safe than cartridges. Merkur 15C is a such razor. Mine is having a smaller gap than any cartridge I have seen and the blade exposure is slightly on the negative side. Merkur 15C is not my absolute favorite among my super mild razors, but it is the most safe razor I own. My favorite mild razors are iKon X3 and Saiver travelers razor (loaded with the included shim and only one blade). They are not fully the same safe as 15C because of bigger gap, but still very mild.

Mild razors requires a lot of skills because they only give a close shave if you keep the angle perfectly. Even smaller deviations from the angle will affect the result. It is so easy to fall into the temptation to add a bit of pressure to compensate for a wrong angle and this would cause irritation even with a mild razor.