Double stamped head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jorvaljr, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased a khaki set that had 2 gillette old type heads. On one of the heads I noticed a doubled stamped serial number.

I recently discussed something similar with gentleman who stated his double stamped old type was “rare” and “ valuable “. I didn’t think anything of it until I noticed that this head has a double stamp just like his did.

My question is, has anyone seen these before or can someone tell me a little history on these oddball heads? Any information would greatly be appreciated.
    2DD15504-9F10-4721-845C-29041F4A69F2.jpeg

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Frijolero, gorgo2 and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Some accounts, which I may be making up, say the DSN (Double Serial Number) razors were issued on rare occasions where twin brothers enlisted to serve. They were to share a razor which, with the two SNs, would be logged as two razors...some say (again, I could be lying) that Gillette did this bookkeeping chicanery to gouge the War Department into paying for more individual razors than had actually been manufactured for our servicemen. In any case, few twins actually enlisted which is why they are very rare. Triplets could not enlist because three SNs couldn't be stamped on one razor, so they capped twin enlistments at two brothers.

What's REALLY rare is what they issued for Siamese twins; so rare I don't think an example has been seen in 100 years.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Frijolero, Hembree and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The pertinent question is did the serial numbers correspond with production orders or sales orders?

Hembree and Jorvaljr like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A more plausible explanation is, someone was drinking on the 11-7 shift.

6. Jorvaljr

Lol I don’t know what to think of this. But I laughed my ass off. If this was serious, I’m sorry for laughing. But if this was for laughs.. mission accomplished and well done sir.
    [​IMG]

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Much appreciated. Let's just say you could use some of this for that post of mine.

Texas-BS-Repellent-430x310.jpg

8. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

One of my military bulldog sets has a double number. I was told, under the impression it was a warrantee return and repair at the Gillette factory. After repairs, it was rereleased for distribution

2D4FFCF5-F573-4C43-AA25-2AA2548AACB3.jpeg 367DC9CD-4E5A-4FCD-A318-6B82B0ADE25F.jpeg

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like that explanation a lot better.

brit, Frijolero and Timwcic like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

One of ?????? Lol damn.

brit, Timwcic and gorgo2 like this.
  11. Timwcic

Thank you. This set was a Estate sale score from Pensacola. Was told a retired naval officer. I have one set that looks unused and is a cabinet queen. A third is a beater I use a few time a year

brit, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Well let me know if you want to trade the beater for something.

brit, Timwcic and gorgo2 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Agree with @Timwcic as I read somewhere, don't ask where cause I forgot, about razors sent back and re-stamped.

brit and Timwcic like this.
  14. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

the second "L ***" serial number is for repaired razors.

15. brit

brit in a box

i have heard that a returned /repaired razor was renumbered ..may be very wrong..

jimjo1031 and Timwcic like this.
  16. Timwcic

10-4