Dubl Duck / PearlDuck Strop Help

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Droo78, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I now own a vintage strop I received from my neighbor. It's one he inherited from his grandfather back in the mid 1970's. Since he doesn't use it, he thought I could.

I didn't own a strop before but I do have a vintage Anchor Brand straight razor, although I have never used it for a full shave. The razor has been restored and honed.

Any ideas about the age, condition of this strop. It measures 2.5" x 24" total. I have some leather conditioner that I use for my boots. Is that ok for the strop?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  2. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I came across a Vintage Strop at an Estate Sale a few months back. It is an original Bresduck from the 1940s. The one you have is what Bresduck became in the 1950s, or Peralduck. These are double Strops, with one Leather Strop and one pure Linen Strop. As I understand it, the Linen Strop was used to clean the blade and the Leather Strop to Hone the blade. MVC-001S.JPG MVC-004S.JPG MVC-005S.JPG MVC-006S.JPG

Droo78, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Calling Adam @Drygulch our resident leather expert.

Droo78 likes this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My guess it’s from the 20’s. I restored a vintage strop by washing and bleaching the linen. It came out very nice.
    The leather portion; I rubbed in a generous amount of tallow shave soap, which is the only use I found for Williams:), let that set over night and rubbed off. I finished by rubbing in some neatsfoot oil. This is my daily driver. I especially like the linen.
    The strop looks to be in very good condition. I caution you, as a somewhat inexperienced straight user, to not cut the strop while learning.

Frijolero and Droo78 like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Here’s a couple of old pics of the process that I dig out. I lost the before pics, but you can see by the color of the lather the crud that came out.

15D54AD8-3FC2-4B92-BADC-3A08645592FF.jpeg B9676E9E-E88A-4EAC-B54F-7D31A595921F.jpeg 013FB5C2-F3D8-4718-8028-1E44CE3D9604.jpeg

Droo78, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You can clean the linen with oxi-clean and water with a brush. Careful or the logo will scrub right off. Clean the oil with water first, let dry for 24 hours, then put a few drops of oil on your hand to rub in. Go very slowly with adding oil, and give lots of time to absorb and wick into the leather.

8. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think I'm more worried about the cleaning of the linen.

Spyder likes this.
  9. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Spyder likes this.