Durham Duplex Blades

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by qhsdoitall, Jul 17, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Anyone know what blades can fit in a Durham Duplex disposable str8 besides the manufacturers own?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not a clue. :o

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Rich, can you even get the manufacturer's blades for that one anymore? I looked on the Durham Duplex website, and they have all kinds of industrial razors, but I didn't see any for the old str8/safety razor.

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

eBay has some but rare. I'm wondering if a feather might work.

5. paydepst

paydepst Member

You can get blades for it from DD. Some of the blades that you are looking at in the industrial razor section are the blades for their old safety razor. I don't know if they are coated or not however.

6. coolsimon

coolsimon New Member

Duham duplex blades

Seeing as you are looking for blades, I think I have some..i will have too look, so if i find some are you interested?
    I also have other vintage blades plus some brand new rolls razor blades...

hope i can help....regards,simon

7. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

The only kind I've seen so far are marked "Dog Dresser Blades". They are the same size and shape as the old Duplex blades, but made for a dog groomer tool that's still available.

I don't know if they'll work for shaving.

8. alfabet

alfabet New Member

This is kind of late but Simon references some Rolls razor blades. Are they still available?

9. Griz

Griz Member

I have a very nice Durham Duplex Razor that I would like to try to use, but I cannot find any blades to go in it.

The company is still in business and makes industrial blades, but none for shaving or for the duplex razor. Does anyone know where I can find a substitute?

10. riffin

riffin Active Member

I have never found any blade in that form factor except industrial blades. I have Durham T-shaped razor and fitted it with two Feather Pro-Guard blades. they are a bit shorter than the width of the Durham. It was a pain to keep the blades in while closing the head. I eventually put a thin magnet on the platform to hold the blades. That worked pretty well.

The shave was pretty darned aggressive.

11. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Just the blades that you get from the hardware store.

I assume that if you have a glass or other DE hone you could probably make it shave ready.

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

carpet cutting blades.

13. Griz

Griz Member

Thanks for the advice

I appreciate the feedback. I had thought about buying some industrial blades and try honing them myself.

Looks like that is the best option.

Will N.
    (Griz)

14. El Grande

El Grande New Member

Hey

It's me I'm new.

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

you dont need to hone them, theyll shave out of the packaging.

16. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Thanks Dave, another razor that I will want to have to try out now. Any idea how well they shave?

17. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

they shave well, just have some patience.

18. riffin

riffin Active Member

The HW store "Durham" blades??!! I'm shocked! Is the bevel correct for shaving? Are they coated? How do they compare to the HW store "GEM" SE blades? Would honing HW store blades improve their use for shaving?

I'd think one would do better modifying a Durham razor to take Feather injector blades. It can be subtle and a little tricky, but it doesn't require and special tools or major rebuilding.

If those blades really do work well, I'm going to have to break out my Durhams razors and try them out!

Thanks Dave.

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yes
    yes you are
    apparently
    no
    i dont buy my SE blades at the HW store :)
    it would probably ruin them

i can get almost 9 shaves out of blade. and that is straight out of the pack.

what youre proposing with the feathers will be VERY tricky and pretty dangerous considering how sharp those things can be.

:D

20. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

This reply is my favorite post this week. :D