Duvet

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by fuerein, Feb 25, 2007.

1. fuerein

fuerein New Member

Out of curiousity I was wondering about other's opinion. I recently purchased my first true down comforter and purchased a duvet for it. Out of habit due to previous use of lighter comforters/quilts when I made the bed I layered top sheet, light cotton blanket, then comforter. Made for a really warm bed (nice!) and really heavy bedding (which I also happen to like). However I've seen in several places say you shouldn't even use a top sheet with a comforter/duvet. What are your opinions on the matter? It isn't going to change my practice, but I am curious as to how others view the matter.

2. Baron

Baron New Member

you purchased a duvet cover for the duvet? or purchased a duvet? (just trying to understand)

I used to just have a duvet with a cover, no sheet. Whitney prefers a regular comforter with a sheet so that's what we currently have.

3. fuerein

fuerein New Member

Sorry, I purchased both, the down comforter (duvet) & cover.

4. Baron

Baron New Member

ah okay :)

I prefer just having the duvet on the bed (with cover) and no sheet... just less complicated more comfortable for me :D

5. KenS

KenS New Member

My wife and I tried, but are so used to sheets that they are required.
    Ken.

6. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I prefer having a sheet too, but my wife likes the comforter without a sheet. So we do it her way.

7. xChris

xChris Member

Hmm... I don't think me or my wife care either way. At home, though, we normally have the sheet on the bed too.

8. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I quit using top sheets completely... it seemed redundant to me and it is easier to make the bed now...once I get Tank off of it...... :D

Attached Files:

• bed.jpg
      bed.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

my God, I can't believe Tank sleeps on the bed! My puppy sleeps on the floor outside my daughter's room, but never anywhere else. Mind you, I once caught him catching 40 winks on the couch a few weeks ago, and I chased him off of it.

Jeff

10. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

yeah, I can't believe it either. It is the only piece of furniture he has ever gotten on, and I can't keep him off... I think I have given up to be honest with you.. I would rather change the sheets every day than have him eat my shoes... :ashamed001

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Fitted and top sheets for us. We use a summer weight synthetic comforter and add a thermal blanket on top in winter. If one of use gets cold we just add a throw on one side. It's tough because I'm a furnace and my wife either freezes or roasts so she is constantly adding or throwing blankets.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sue, the one and only time my dog tried to chew a shoe, he got a good spanking from me. He knows better now. One great thing about him, he's a terrific bodyguard for Ilana, my little daughter.

Jeff

13. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

The only time I don't have to watch him like a hawk is when he is in bed... it is like he knows he is not supposed to be there and doesn't mess up any other way...

The rest of the time I am still having to follow him around everywhere, unless he is out back or in his crate. He will stay in a down position, but I can't keep him there all day.... I am developing eyes in the back of my head... :ashamed001

He has gotten MUCH better tho and my arms are a LOT stronger than they used to be from all the corrections... I think it has only been 3 weeks tho... when I think of how much better he has gotten it is actually pretty amazing.. I am giving up on the bed tho.

14. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Try running some sheets of aluminum foil on the bed or couch, dogs find the noise and texture unpleasant- Oh you can add some mouse traps on top also- the noise and surprise will help reinforce the limits.

15. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I would probably end up snapping my.... .er, um.... yeah, that... :o

Thanks Jim! Nice title..... :D

16. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

OK here we go:

1.down mattress cover
    2.down featherbed
    3.fitted sheet
    4.top sheet
    5.cashmere blanket(in winter)
    6.down comforter inside sueded duvet cover

Why all this you may ask? 3 reasons: comfort and I'm in the buff, so this keeps me from catching cold. Finally, once I go to sleep, I drop the household temp to about 66 degrees. Oh, and my dog Jazz sleeps on the foot of the bed because my wife taught him to.

Marty

17. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Duvet cover, no top sheet. I hate being weighed down too much in bed.

And Mama, that is one sturdy bed frame you got there. :D