Ear Hair

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by profsaffel, Aug 17, 2009.

1. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

Ok, fellas. Many of you are dealing with the same issue as I am. As we age, we may lose a little on top, but we make up for it in the ears and nose.

What the 'eck are you doing about it? Most of the shavers I've tried only play at trimming those annoying hairs. I want a better solution. Anyone have it?

-Prof

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I'd like to know what the best is too. Have tried safety scissors (no good), and a variety of rotary hair yankers. I usually just grab whatever Walgreen's has for under ten bucks, but like you, I find most solutions to be pretty unsatisfactory.

I don't think I need to get BBS in the nostrils or anything :sick007; it would just be nice to do it quickly and cleanly.

Thanks for asking about this Prof!

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

For the outside of the ears, mine can get shaggy, I use a lighter and singe it off. You can get inside enough to do the job with a lighter too. You know guys, be careful.

I found a couple runaway hairs a few years ago that freaked me out. It sucks getting older. Like George said on Seinfeld you have to be constantly vigilant, ear puberty, knuckle puberty, eyebrow puberty.

4. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Before anyone goes the blow-torch route...

A feminine bikini line trimmer works better on trimming the hair on/in a man's ears than, err, well, than what it’s actually intended for.

5. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

I use this trimmer from Zwilling (Henckels), and it do the job:
    [​IMG]

6. selhov

selhov New Member

hi guy,s the best thing i have found is a small battery operated rimel nose and hair trimer, its safe and light in the hand it,a alittle thicke,r than a pencil take,s two small battery,s i bought it at boot,s the chemist for under a tene,r it,s great does the job after all this hear,s grow for a purpos and that was to keep dust and durt geting in the nose and eyer,s you can never get rid but you can trim and keep them at bay, happy triming guys, i now its a pain in the butt but thair is no geting away with it unless you get the misses to puck them out one by one:happy102

7. Lawrenceu

Lawrenceu New Member

I come from a family whose men are well endowed with ear and nose hair. I think we may actually be tall hobbits. My method of dealing with them is:

Ear hairs get pulled out by either me or my wife.
    Nose hair (external) gets pulled out.
    Nose hair (internal) gets trimmed with either scissors or a rotary trimmer depending upon my mood.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I don't have internal ear hair yet, but the wife polices the external. Nose hair is my problem. I had a panasonic made trimmer that worked well but it died. Now I've got this conair gadget that doesn't really work. I don't like the scissors route- I really want to find an effective rotary trimmer. I suppose I should try and find that panasonic trimmer...

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use a Wahl beard/mustache trimmer for my ears.
    I have a smaller trimmer, not sure the brand, for my nose.
    Both are battery operated.

I don't mind getting old. It's all the "extras" that come along with it.

I've heard it said that the older you get, the more you have going for you. Your hearing is going. Your eyesight is going. Your memory is going. Your hair is going. :happy102:happy102:happy102

10. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

:happy097

I had a battery operated trimmer until it caused me to have an ingrown hair in the bugle, :angry019

. Im going to try a pair of the dovo "ball" ended scissors i think.

11. Griz

Griz Member

If I don't watch it, the hair on the outside of my ears grows long enough that my wife threatens to braid them.

I use a Wahl beard trimmer to shave them off weekly and also give my nose a swipe as well. In between times, I will trim the moustache with a sharp pair of scissors and snip any nose hairs at the same time.

I find that if I cut my nose hairs with one of the rotary trimmers or trim too close they are very uncomfortable.

Anything on the outside gets snatched out by my loving wife usually when I least expect it.

Will N.

12. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I use such a rotary trimmer from Dovo and a pair of ball end scissors for the nose.

The ears are done every now and then by my Turkish barber when it is time for my regular haircut :D

13. ateace

ateace Member

Things I never dreamed I'd find myself discussing for $100, Alex.

+1 on the Dovo rotary trimmer for the nose. Mine is the Klipette, which I think is discontinued. It's the only effective nose trimmer that I've found.

I keep my Sensor to do my ears and the back of my neck. It's great for these areas.

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't have the ear hair problem yet, but I could grow nose hair several inches long if desired. It looks like so far I'm the only one who uses tweezers to remove nose hair. I listened to my wife and bought a good pair of angle tip tweezers that were about $7 if I remember correctly.

15. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

16. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Before this forum and wet shaving I used a Norelco elec razor. Now I find it it quite useful for ear hair and part of my scalp that's 99.9% bald w/ a few pesky hairs still popping up.

17. frenchman

frenchman New Member

ive always used a very small bair of siccors to cut my ear hair. its always worked the best for me. I used to use a razor, but that never worked very well

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Not had ear hair issues yet. Nose hairs and long eye brow hairs I have.

Been wondering what would happen if I put say a 1/2 guard on the trimmer and ran it across my eyebrows.

19. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

Not a concern for me since I can't breath water.

20. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I do that fairly regularly. Used to have a clipper with an adjustable guard. I'd start with it set high and gradually ease it closer. After doing that for years (and burning up the old clipper) it's pretty easy to pick a good length now. Only once have I gone a bit too close. :ashamed001 Take my advice, you don't want to do that or you'll look like this all the time: :eek:

Ok, fess up - how many of you have had your eyebrows waxed at one time or another? I have - did it for my wife because, well, because I love her. Probably won't do that again though - ouch!