Early American Kamisori, or fancy corn scraper ?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NapalmCola, Jan 10, 2016.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I had an antique dealer contact me saying he just got in a few new razors he wanted me to see. In particular a nonfolding straight razor.

Non folding huh, weird. This I have to take a look at. On my way over I thought what could it be ? Then I thought wait maybe it's a kamisori. That could be interesting if it was a good on.

When I got there he was almost giddy with excitement while he unlocked the cabinet to show me what he had gotten.

As you can see from the pictures it definitely isn't a kamisori. Is it a fancy corn scraper ? Is it a play in words that says " korn " ?

Anyone come across one before or have any experience with one ? There were also two actual straight razors he had as well. Anyone have any experience with either of them either?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    That is interesting

George Korn was the Master Grinder for the Case Brothers in Little Valley NY
    He held several Patents for special grinds, he later sold razors under his own name

I have never seen a vintage razor made like that, I have however made a few into something like that over the years

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/my-latest-micro-sori-re-build.21134/

That is one I would love to see in hand

NapalmCola likes this.
  3. NapalmCola

You did an amazing job on that one.
    I honestly didn't know what this edge on a stick was. If it's possible to shave with it then I'm interested in it. If I pick it will it be ok to send it your way for a quick inspection and a tune up ? There is some rust at the handle but there is no cracks or pitting that I could see.
    If you don't mind the work, we can figure out prices in a pm or email.

Thanks

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Mr. Shaverman, gssixgun and JBSharp like this.
  5. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Very interesting. To me, that patent app legitimizes it as a razor. I'm not into straights (beyond a single cheap shavette) but I'd have to pick that one up, if it was a decent price. Good luck, @NapalmCola .

EDIT: Actually, both of those other straights are nice, too. The detailing on the scales and the blade etching on that Torrey are awesome, and those metal scales are very interesting on a vintage straight, if authentic. I'm untrained and uninformed, but that's my two cents.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    NapalmCola likes this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So do you have three new razors now? I would. Jump on that Korn one!

NapalmCola likes this.
  7. NapalmCola

I went back and mentioned that it was in fact missing the safety guard and what kind of a discount I would get , with my frequent buyer discount as well of course.
    So I did pick it up, and at a great price as well.

I will now be on the lookout for the safety cover. As well as any other items made by this brilliant man and his company.

I attached a link that goes over his history as well as pictures of his creations and the patents.

I will be getting in touch with Glenn and see about cleaning and honing it. As well as give him a chance to take a look at it.

http://www.jbfchamplin.com/?page_id=269

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    JBSharp likes this.
  8. JBSharp

Safety guard or no, it's still an interesting piece and a nice looking blade. It's also cool that it's a century old American kamisori-style razor, whatever the inspiration was.
    At the risk of committing a www faux pas, I found an interesting thread on another forum which shows a standard handled Korn and your straight handled style, both with the guards: http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?p=521487

Drygulch and NapalmCola like this.
  9. NapalmCola

I agree, now that i know its not a fancy scrapper for corns on your feet. It would be neat to eventually have one of his other style straight razors in the collection. He had dozens of really great ideas/inventions. From his history he wasn't a world traveler so he most likely didn't see the items then return to America and make them himself. From kamisori type razor to straight razors with a thumb release safety latch, this guy was brilliant. He made custom wine bottle openers to scissors and folding blade knives. The link should be above. Its a great read.

10. JBSharp

I read through that, and should have said so. I felt the same as you, I was fascinated by some of those designs. The photos were amazing, the way he worked those shapes into reality.

NapalmCola likes this.
  11. NapalmCola

Sorry, i didn't mean to imply that you had not read it. I am just fascinated by his works and must be a bit excited and think the members here would really enjoy the read as well as the both of us.

Some items are very industrial looking and made for daily use and others are very elegant and defiantly geared for the very wealthy class.

All I need is another particular type or brand of item to keep an eye out for. Maybe I can convince my wife that i'm looking for items that she may like as well as traditional shaving items for myself. Like I told her when it comes to a Waterford crystal shave brush, they also make Waterford crystal cosmetic brushes. ;)

JBSharp and Drygulch like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I really like learning about the history of the early American straight razor companies as I collect them. I have a Cattarangus razor with the scales with the finger notch that is one of George Korn's patents in that link. I know there is one, but am not sure of the connection with Cattarangus and the Case family other than being in Little Valley New York.

NapalmCola likes this.
  13. NapalmCola

I agree, the history behind these companies and individuals is pretty neat. I have always enjoyed history and now with this new hobby I can learn about the history of the new hobby.

Drygulch and JBSharp like this.
  14. JBSharp

No offense taken, merely apologizing for myself. Maybe your wife would like one of those knives styled like a pitcher or a "well dressed woman." Ladies like those kinds of things, right? (Full disclosure: I'm married and know better.)

NapalmCola and Drygulch like this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very cool find. There is some cool info in this thread.

NapalmCola likes this.
  16. NapalmCola

Thanks mrchick. Have you tried your newly found sharpening hone yet ?

17. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

The Royal Worcester looks like a very nice razor great find.

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have not. I'm on the road this week. I think I'm going to try it on my knives first. I'm still learning to strop and not confident enough yet for honing.

NapalmCola likes this.
  19. NapalmCola

I hear ya. I have my first shave ready straight and need to make time to learn to strop first. Then I can think about trying out my barbers hones in the future when they will be dulled enough to need it.

Drygulch and mrchick like this.