Earthquake

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Luteplayers, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

As you may have heard, we had a little earthquake here in Maine last night. What you probably don't know is that it was just 3.5 miles from my house. No damage, just my girlfriend being a little shake up. No pun intended. None of my shaving gear fell off the shelves.

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Glad all's well!

3. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Hope everything's okay.:)

4. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Every thing is fine. I was parked at a gas station a few miles on the other side of it and got shaken a bit. My girlfriend was at the house and said she heard what sounded like two big explosions and the house shook pretty good.

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Glad to hear that you are both okay.

6. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

At least you have your priorities straight. Honestly, I'm glad that everyone is OK.

7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I experienced a couple of earthquakes. The first one was in 2007 and I thought a bulldozer was driving by my house then the monitor of the computer fell over. The second one was when I was stationed in Egypt. I was on tower duty and the whole tower started to shake, first I noticed the ripples in my water bottle then it started to bounce across the table. I have to say I was kind of worried since my tower was about 50 feet in the air.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Talked to Dad this afternoon. My folks live in Addison, Maine, just about an hour from Bar Harbor up Rt. 1 (about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from Luteplayers). Dad said they didn't feel a thing up there.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Glad to hear everyone is alright!

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Glad nobody was hurt. Almost as important, glad none of the shaving gear was damaged.

11. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

As we approach the 201 anniversary of the greatest earth quake in recorded American history (the New Madrid quake of 1811, 1812 and 1813) I am reminded of the first quake that I personally noticed, it was back in the mid 1960s. I was attending the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy. It was a Saturday morning an many of us students were watching cartoons on TV in the student union when the shock waves rolled through. We all looked up and in more or less one voice announced that that had been an earth quake and immediately resumed out viewing experience. So much for a good technical education and a thirst for knowledge.