Ebay logic???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by riffin, Jun 15, 2009.

1. riffin

riffin Active Member

So a listing for a nice Schick Repeating razor at a reasonable, but not cheap ($49.99), starting price goes with zero bids. The seller relists it as BIN with a price +70% more ($85)??? Does that make sense? I'm not getting it.

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Yeah,unless he had received some offers after the first auction....
    and this one,from the same seller is kind of hilarious:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...IA&itu=FICS%2BUFI%2BUA%2BIA%2BUCI&otn=4&ps=10
    Gillette Shick safety razor...some sellers at least should get some knowledge of the stuff that theyre selling.Its not a question to be like Scottydoing or other knowledgeable sellers, but to get some minimum info about the things what youre selling.But now that Im thinking,sometimes the ignorance of the seller is the gain of the buyer....

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Maybe going for the idea that something on the shelf at $1.99 won't sell, but slap a new label on it and mark it at 19.99 and it flies out of the store.

But I think the key problem here is the oxymoron of eBay Logic

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    *ding* *ding* *ding* We Have A Winner!!!

That's more fun than a +1. :D

5. riffin

riffin Active Member

That's a good point. The high-than-$0.99 starting price on the original offer could indicate that he knows he got a nice item. Maybe he settled on a price with someone who let the auction slip and relisted for that guy at that price so the deal carries the usual EBay protection for both parties, as opposed to transacting offline.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

+1 :D

7. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Agreed... it happens with fountain pens all the time. People fall for it because they're not paying attention and really just want the thrill of buying something right now.

8. riffin

riffin Active Member

And there IS a certain logic to it: The opening price is the lowest he's willing to let it go for. One can assume that he hoped/expected it would go for more. In setting the BIN price, he adds that expectation to the price. What gets me is the difference in this case. $50 --> $85 seems like a huge leap to me. If he really did think he was going to get $85 for it, the zero bids I think would be a wake up call. Also with some items and some audiences, a higher price may generate more demand as it make the item SEEM more valuable. Even if that is the case, this still seems like a leap.