EJ DE87 handle construction question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by McGrande, Mar 15, 2019.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I've had this razor about 10 years now and for many of those years it was my only DE razor. I brought it out of hibernation a few weeks back and have been using it for trimming around my beard. This morning, while shaving I felt the faux ivory "sleeve" twist slightly. Not a good thing!

In the attached pic, you can see a small crack just under the collar by the first G of Jagger. That crack has been there for years. I'm thinking now that over the years water had seeped in and dissolved whatever adhesive was used to adhere the sleeve to the handle shaft. To my eye, it doesn't look like the handle can be taken apart and I'm not sure the sleeves are sold separately anyway.

Would one of Italian Barber's or Maggards handle fit the old workhorse?

Thanks in advance!
    EJ DE87.JPG

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Yes they will. I have a DE89 (same head as yours) and I have used Maggards and Weber handles on mine. .

brit, Herm2502, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  3. McGrande

Nice! Now it's a matter of deciding which one to purchase. Would like to keep close to the original weight as possible. I'll have to "weigh" my decision carefully.

4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have a "blemished" Weber bulldog handle and it is my go to handle. I love the weight, grip and size. The E-bay link is below. I bought mine when they were $15.00 and I see they have lowered the price. Mine came with a small scratch that a little emory cloth and polished cleaned right up. It is close to the original weight of a Jagger handle...maybe a little heavier. These handles were origanally $30.00 unblemished.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blemished-...498348?hash=item2ce68c0a2c:g:wccAAOSwKrxUZnUC

5. McGrande

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Hembree likes this.
  6. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

If you like your original handle I'd try a bit of water thin super glue in any cracked area and seams. May kill it, may cure it. Worth doing at this point.

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

not bad............

Hembree likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Weber Bulldog all the way.

Hembree likes this.
  9. McGrande

Must be old age setting in! After reading the above posts regarding the Weber Bulldog handle, I recalled that last year as a toss-in on a IB order, I bought a RR Old Type OC with a "bulldog handle". I found it way too mild as I am used to a Fatip Grande so I shelved it.

Anyway, while cleaning up the EJ prior to putting on the bulldog handle, I did notice that the bottom plate is showing its age. Some small cracks in the guide holes and some wear through on the edges of the top plate. It is over 10 years old but I will now officially retire it. Still looks cool on the shelf though.

As I'm just shaving around my beard these days, the RR Old Type, even though mild, will do for now. That handle is Heavy!

Thanks for the advice & suggestions.

RyX, Hembree and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Sure, but why mate a stainless steel handle with a zamak head? Just get yourself a RazoRock MJ90.

brit and Hembree like this.
  11. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Looks like weber razor sold all their handles.

brit likes this.