Ellis restoration

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hawkeye5, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Things have been a bit tough at our house, and as you know, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.
    I've wanted one of Bill's restorations for some time, but they seem to sell out very fast.
    I check his website frequently, and not long ago I found what I had been looking for. She is a 6/8 Frederick's 1/4 hollow barber notch with clear scales. Not fancy, just a really good mid to late 1800's blade (Bill's estimate) that, after a good stropping, shaves the way I like a razor to shave. Little noise and no jumping around, and smooth. Hard to beat these old Sheffield blade smiths. Bill cleaned her up where she smiles and is ready to go to the dance. The photo is Bill's.

Attached Files:

2. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

that is beautiful...and the scales are perfect for a winter shave.

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I like the frosted scales! Very nice!

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Thats just beautiful

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Love it!! :drool:drool:drool

Congrats! and enjoy :D

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Oh!!!! I saw that one on his sight, excellent choice! ::

Enjoy :D

7. CatMan

CatMan Member

Interesting! The scales remind me of the pair I did about five weeks ago. I cut mine out of a sheet of acrylic, shaped and polishes them. As a spacer I cut out a piece of a Canadian 5 Cent coin. The blade is a Wapi.
    I realize that my scales are to bulky, and Bill's are, well, done by a master craftsman, whereas mine are humble attempts of a beginner. Still I found it interesting how similar ideas apparently float along the west coast. :cool:
    Did you sand blast yours, Bill?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other razor is just a rescaled Wapi with Pakkawood scales from Classic Shaving.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Uh oh, now the Canadian government is gonna come after you for destroying government property! :eek:

Nice scales, btw. But they won't let you use the razor in jail. :rofl

9. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

:eek::eek: I see the nickel at the end of the scales! Oh the horror! :D

10. CatMan

CatMan Member

Because I cut off the Queen's head? Cutting off the Monarch's head is an old English tradition, isn't it? :D

11. Queen of Blades

No, cause you cut up a nickel, silly. That's way worse than cutting off the Queen's head. :rolleyes:

12. CatMan

CatMan Member

But I'm supporting the value of their currency by lowering the amount of money in circulation. Inflation control! :D

13. Queen of Blades

Whatever helps you sleep better at night. :rofl

14. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I'm glad you like the razor, John. I think it's a dandy myself. The scales get the frosted look from using scotchbrite. I got the idea for this type of scale from Nenad, a longtime srp member. The trick is keeping the pattern in the scratches uniform all along the scale. When they get wet, you can see thorough them which I think is pretty cool.

Klaus... your clear scales are dynamite. The coin thingie is a great idea.

15. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thanks, Bill!

16. coolsimon

coolsimon New Member

clear scales

im having a real problem with them, cant figure out how to get the whole thing even...trial and error for me i guess but both sets onhere look awesome,nicejob fellas