English Aristocrats

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Does anybody know what the numbers mean (#16, #58, #66) that are assigned to these razors? Are these numbers part of their official names, or are they a product of the contemporary wet shaving culture like "Fat Boy" and "Slim"?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

They are the official names from the advertisements etc.

Achim always comes through with the goods

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

As I said before, they are codes.:scared011

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

But what do the numbers mean? And what is this razor? Somebody told me it was a #16, how do I confirm?

[​IMG]

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Was it perhaps the order that they were released.

A number 66 is the 66th release of that style. A 16 would be the 16th release, etc...

Couldn't you say a double ring was a 1 and a 1940 would be a #30 or so. Assuming that they had 29 other models between them.

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Do you really think they made 66 versions of these?

Darn it! Now I gotta know!

Hey Wedge, how the hell did I pass you on posts? You're lagging, dude! :happy102

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think it was kind of random numbering. Definitely not sequential. The #16 is the same razor as the #66, but in a different style set. I am almost positive yours is a #16 set.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I was looking at that #66 that sold for $250, and it is identical to mine except the #66 has the diamond shaped indention on the base plate of the head that we typically see on Gillettes, and mine has a flat plate. I guess that's one way to tell them apart.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

REALLY? Maybe it is not a #16 afterall then... I have been told that the razors between the two sets are identical... Chris?

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

It's just whatever this is. Achim has this listed simply as a 1950's British Aristocrat -- no number. The material inside the case is different, but otherwise, my set is indentical.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Mr. Razor

11. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

There is no band above the tto on the right.

Is it not plausible that there could be slight variations on each individual model?

66 models is not really all that unheard of. Look at cars, people call the Mustang a year 1 or year 2. Then go by year. Razors, could be the same depending on how fast they updated the style. Styles could have changed every quarter or biannually.

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

There is no band period. If you look at the picture on the left, you can see the shaft between the knob and handle. When the razor is opened, the shaft moves up into the handle and the knob and handle meet. Just one of the many reasons that makes the English built Gillettes sturdier and heavier.

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

If it's got the heavy flat plate it's a #16. Great find! I think the #16 is more sought after than the #66 and the price should reflect that desirability, sort of like a Rocket compared to an Aristocrat Jr.. I'm certainly not an English Aristocrat expert, but I do hope to learn more someday.

I wonder about the numbered series as well. I have a #21, which is the straight bar version of a #15, and an Australian #48, #58 and #59 (HD Rocket). It can all be very confusing! :confused: Was there a #8 or a #69, inquiring minds want to know.

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks Chris! Now I feel even better about this score! :D