Enquiry on a Gillette Ball End Tech Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Aug 8, 2017.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day TSD,

I'm asking for enquiry on a Gillette Ball End Tech Safety Razor, and my question is the cap and base plate are both the same as the 1947-51 and the 1956 Gillette Ball End Tech Safety Razor, I mean is the head are both the same geometry, cure, blade exposure and gap.

Which one would you choose the 1947-51 or the 1956 Gillette Ball End Tech Safety Razor, because I'm going to buy one I've never own a Gillette Ball End Tech.

Cheers ;);)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I don't think there is much difference, shave-wise. One might have triangular holes in the base vs. racetrack holes. The cap is the same or the same geometry anyway. Some people indicate that the triangular holes make the razor a little more agressive, but I am dubious that you could tell the difference. I can't. I have both. So, get the cheaper one that is in the nicest shape. I.e. flat base, no bent, no dings, good finish, no pitting; in your favorite color (matte black, chrome, gold tone). Good luck.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The heads are similar and should shave the same, just the WW II techs (US) had a different base plate.

tech-ida.jpg
    tech-idb.jpg

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have a 1955 4th quarter side by side with a 1947-50; both ball ends. I see no physical differences between base plates. I line them next to the 1932 Canadian post WW2 fat handle Tech and still no difference.

Yes, I REALY like Techs, but I save my love for God and my wife. :D

Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To answer the second half of your question. I would choose the 1947-50 Ball End Tech due to the head would be brass and not zamak. The 1955 head is zamak.

asland408 and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I didn't think the Zamak heads came until the mid 60s?

7. Terry Williams

I wonder if the problem might be Frankenrazors from large stashes of what look to be the same thing. Hoard...um...collectors accidentally mismatching caps to handles and bases.

I do, however, have a WWII (unsure of the year) matte black ball end with a Zamak handle and cap. I think the base is brass. I think it is from about 1945. Looks like this.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 15.13.33.png
    Except that the finish on mine is pretty thin.

Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That style handle is the contract Tech handle. I think it's either aluminum or zamak.

Douglas Carey and Terry Williams like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have this one and the top plate is aluminum.
    [​IMG]

10. SpeedyPC

May I ask what's the difference between brass and zamak, sorry I'm trying to understand the terminology between each metal or steel and why would you choose brass and not zamak

Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Terry Williams

Zamak is a zinc alloy and, without treatment, is a little more prone to corrosion. Plus, it is more brittle.

asland408 and Jayaruh like this.
  12. SpeedyPC

So brass is a better option correct

13. Terry Williams

I guess so. But, my razor is 70 years old and still works great. Just doesn't look as nice as it would if I get it GunKote-d. I think either of your choices will make you happy. If they are silver or gold, then they are brass.

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Ok ... this may ruffle feathers, but ...

Zamak is the same metal used to make Hot Wheel toy cars it's considered pot metal made of zinc, magnesium, aluminum and copper.

If a razor's coating is scratched or abraded the zamak underneath will eventually fail. Where as if a brass razors coating is scratched ... it tarnishes.

Some may say "my zamak razor won't get scratched". I say the first place they always fail is the threads.

Will it stop me from ever owning a zamak razor? No, but if I have a choice between two identical razors; one zamak and one brass ... I'll take brass.

asland408 and Terry Williams like this.
  15. Terry Williams

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

In my opinion, yes.

17. SpeedyPC

Terry Williams likes this.
  18. SpeedyPC

Okay guys I went ahead from a very good friend I've known for 4 years from the Grand Lodge of England, I bought a US Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50 in brass and it comes with a brand new nickel re-plating for £24 that's about $40 AUD.

This US Gillette Ball End Tech doesn't have a date and all I can see on the underside of the base plate showing a REG. U.S. PT. OFF. showing a Gillette diamond with a MADE IN U.S.A. stamp on it, and the condition of the razor looks fantastic like a brand new tech when I get back home to Australia I'll get some photo taken asap and when I get home I'll buy one more Gillette Ball End Tech later on.

Terry Williams, Jayaruh and jimjo1031 like this.
  19. Terry Williams

Good on ya!

Jayaruh and SpeedyPC like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

WOW $40 AUD thats like $5 US dollars. :happy097:

But really a re-plated vintage Gillette for that price is a great and you can pass on to your kids. Looking forward to the pics.:D

Terry Williams, asland408 and Jayaruh like this.