Entertaining Possibilities of New Razor Design

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Jan 28, 2013.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's been a number of years since I first started this thread. I now believe the greatest future innovations will come from blades, rather than razors. From cutting edge advancements in new blade materials such as synthetic sapphire, to modern ceramic coatings developed for the firearms industry.

I doubt we will ever see (tungsten) Personna 74's again, but we might see something similar someday.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You never got to the dual purpose (DE/SE) Shake Sharp design that Friel worked up. I wonder if a real prototype is out there.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I didn't. But I think I discussed it in the shake sharp thread. As for a prototype, it might exist, though I don't know where to start looking for one.

Edit: to be honest, I'm not even sure if that was a workable design or a pipe dream. The one thing I don't see on that design are stops to keep the SE blade from moving forward, though the top cap might put enough pressure on it to keep it from moving. It's too bad there are no records left to explain why he decided not to pursue a dual use blade design.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Keithmax likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah hard to say how it would work in practice, the , the claim is that movement of the SE blade is constrained by the recess into which the spine is set, with recess wall acting like a hook, best I can understand it.

[​IMG]

Ancestry dot com tells me a James C Friel died in CT in 1963, I'm guessing that's our man.

5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

IMHO the best razor(s) design has already been produced. They are the vintage Gillette razors. I have a 70 year old SS that gives me wonderful shaves. I cannot think of any razor design that can replace this razor. And, why would I spend the money on something else? I have seen some very high priced "modern" razors that will not shave any better than the old Gillette. Throw in the Fatboy and SS adjustable razors and you cannot get any better. I would challenge any manufacturer to to develop a razor better than the vintage Gillette razors. Just a thought.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Some shaves perhaps are more wonderful than others. That's why most of us are here. No flies on the Gillette SS it's the DE I started with and a nice razor but no longer a real favorite. I don't think spending a lot of money is necessary, my $8 Baily razor outperforms the Super Speed by a good margin.

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Most likely, since Friel is an uncommon name, and the time is about right too.

I understand the concept now. That man was brilliant. You can see the hooks clearly in figure 5 and 6. I assumed they were only for the DE blade placement, but they also hooked under the spine of the SE blade, holding the blade in place.
    Cooper and G.E. Jones both developed better razors than Gillette, in my opinion. Even the U.K. Gillette branch made better razors than Gillette.

As for your challenge...I'd have to agree with you. I've yet to see any manufacturer make a better razor than the old Gillette designs. Even Wolfman, which is considered the nom plus ultra of three piece razors, is only a customized copy of the humble British flat bottomed Gillette tech.

I expect that someday someone will produce a razor that will beat your challenge. Maybe the Janus Toggle, if they ever get it off the ground.
    https://www.janusrazors.com

John Ruschmeyer likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018