Equinox Full D/E Blade(No splitting in half) Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Sep 3, 2015.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I just got that Equinox Shavette tonight in the mail. We'll see how it is tomorrow morning. I'm going to try to make a video. It may or may not be close up enough for you to get a real good idea of how it's working. I'm thinking that I may just have to have my phone pointed at me, and see if I can look at the phone screen through the mirror or something. It'll be cool. I'm pretty confident that everything will go alright. I'm very interested to see/feel how the added heft over the Parker SR1 will affect the shave. I'm hoping it makes it easier and more forgiving. Also, once I got the DE blade in and seated properly, it's pretty hard to get it back out. The mechanism is easy to use and is quite tight over the shank to close it up.
    20150903_174533.jpg 20150903_174624.jpg

@gwsmallwood @Jayaruh

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    kurtmill likes this.
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I may end up with one of these after I get paid again. It's a tossup for me between this and a whipped dog flawed straight.

3. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Well, I just gave it a go this morning and only completed the WTG pass. For me it felt rough, because I was using muscle memory from my SR1 that has a narrower shank, so I think my angle was off. I also cut myself a couple times, but extremely light and superficial(stopped bleeding with alum for a couple seconds and from a few feet away I look great. Haha and OUCH!) I think the difference is that the shank is so wide that the blade felt like it was in a different position than I'm used to, if that makes sense. I didn't make a video, as it was too hard to look at the camera and the mirror at the same time and use something I wasn't totally used to.

It's a very good razor though. Has a slight heft edge over the Parker SR1, but all in the head. Got me super close WTG and I did my ATG pass with my Razorock Jaws and I was done.

I'm going to keep trying and just go back to basics and just go really slow. I think that's the way to approach it.

Drygulch, Slow Joe and kurtmill like this.