Essence by Tedalus

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by ischiapp, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Thank you very much @PLANofMAN for this review! I didn't expect that at all.
    I'm happy to hear you like the razor that much. Thanks also for your support over the last few years.
    A lot of ups and downs but it was all worth it in the end.

snuff, Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. Manumik

Thank you very much for your order! We just shipped out all the razors.
    We will send you an e-mail with the tracking number in some minutes.

snuff and Edison Carter like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    How many do you have left? Just out of curiosity.

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. Manumik

I don't share numbers in public. But check your inbox.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    More than I expected, to be honest, with a bare handful of mentions and virtually no reviews.

I think you will start seeing an uptick as reviews start filtering into the community. You have two things going for you.

1. It's a sexy razor.
    2. It also happens to be the best shavette on the market.

If I were you, I'd start designing a slim profile model for edging (thinner blade holder, edge to spine) for barbers. Might be a good candidate for a Kamisori style razor. This would also give you a lower price tier to sell razors at in the future.

Manumik, snuff and Edison Carter like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1624329632619.JPEG
    Second shave, same as the first, minus the blood spot. Satisfying and quick. This time with a picture.

Manumik, Edison Carter and snuff like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Great pics with the 1/2 DE

snuff, PLANofMAN and Manumik like this.
  8. Manumik

Yes, I'm very curious about the reviews. I can't wait to hear what people are going to say when they first shave with it.
    At the moment, we will focus on building a good foundation and prove to people that we are delivering what we promise. I'm just a bit disappointed that we could not offer the stand right from the beginning. But, it is what it is ...
    If things go well, the stand will be the next thing in the pipeline.

9. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

Very good review indeed. Manuel did put in a lot of work and had quitte a few setbacks in the proces such as factories that delivered things that didn’t live up to his standards. It was really interesting to be part of that whole process, it looks easy enough to bring a new razor to the market but boy what a work.

I know that Manuel has other things up his sleeve but it has to work out financially first and he won’t become rich at all with this shavette, it’s more like getting a foot in the door of the shaving world and luckily he knew that from the start.

As to taking out the blade: Once you’ve done it a few times it’s a matter of seconds but you can easily close the razor with a blade in it, just close it very careful until the blade rests onto the inner part, if you do it that way the edge won’t be damaged and you won’t feel a difference during the shaves, optically it’s just like 2 or 3 mm difference from a fully closed Essence without a blade. Or you can leave it a little bit open (say 5mm) after shaving.

I have tried both ways and after closing it completely couldn’t notice any difference in the blade after using it 15 times.
    This was only to test if it could be done. I normally open all my razors after use and after cleaning and drying them with a towel leave the parts open for some time. As I turn the blades for the Essence always with each shave (found this does keep the blade longer going) I never leave it inside between shaves.

PLANofMAN, Manumik and Edison Carter like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I finally gave myself razor burn with this razor. 6 shaves into a Polsilver DE blade, 7 consecutive shaves with the razor. (Note: before this, it had been about five years since I shaved with a shavette, and probably the same amount of time for straights).

I knew the blade was a bit dull, but I figured I could push through and get one more shave with the half blade, and I misplaced the other half of the DE blade, and didn't want to dig out my blade stash again.

Still very happy and impressed with the razor's performance. Didn't even know about the razor burn until my wife did the "OmG, what did you do to yourself!?" in the mid-afternoon. Looks like Sunday will be a day of rest for me, literally, for shaving at least.

Usually, I can get two shavette shaves in a row before razor burn drives me to choose a mild DE razor for a while. This razor is the exception to that.

Manumik, snuff and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Edison Carter

You should try a Feather Pro Guard.

PM me an address and I’ll put one in the mail.

I thought Guarded blades were sissified……..until I tried one.

Bill

Manumik and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I won't say no. PM incoming.

Edit: I do have a pack of Feather Professional blades arriving Tuesday, but in hindsight, my first use of Artist Club blades probably should be the guarded variant. This is the first razor I've owned that I feel is worth the price of the blades.
    Not even the IBC shavette managed that.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Manumik and Edison Carter like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Did this for another thread, but figured it would be welcome here too.
    IMG_1624836608417.JPEG

b1hart, Manumik and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Edison Carter

7 calendar days, Switzerland to Pennsylvania USA.

Very excited. Video to follow.

26152BCC-3768-47DF-B6BC-E192BAEB89A7.jpeg

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's been a hour Bill, other people need to use the bathroom too.

16. Edison Carter

17. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Great enabling video Bill! No...I haven't broken my NB '21 for the Tedalus.......yet. Still hovering on that in that 'maybe' zone.

snuff, Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

And then there where no more left and you'll be so sorry :angry032: ;)
    Nice video Bill, Feather Super Pro's, those are great in this razor (if you're a experienced straight razor or shavette shaver, otherwise go with a Kai mild to start)

b1hart, PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Edison Carter

To the gentleman who headshaves using the Pro Super blade, I…… :smiley respect:

20. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

At $365 USD with current exchange rate....I'll wait for a Black Friday sale, or the 30% offer to come back, or one to cross a BST.

If none of those happens, I'll still be happy with the gear I have.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021