Ever Ready C40 - Heavier with 24 mm TGN 3 Band Synthetic

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Jul 5, 2013.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

PM Sent.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

178-bplatoon and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Nice work Gary! As a noob to the hobby side of wet shaving but someone who's always liked the looks of the old Ever-Readys and Made-Rites and whatnot, I'm really pleased to see all the interest in restoring and refurbishing these old timers. Your C40 actually reminds me of the Burma Shave brush - same shape, same cream on red and the black ring. That fat knot definitely gives it a more modern stance though! Well done. :)

I like the boar knots I've seen at TGN, 24mm I think, but they're all dyed to mimic badger, which seems kind of silly. Does any one else provide quality natural or bleached boar knots for this sort of restoration/refurbishment? I think I'll at start with something more in line with what I already know to work for me, so the big 27mm X 60mm natural boar knot at TGN is out for the time being.

And from what little I've read thus far it seems like the synthetic knots are trying to mimic the badger hair rather than the boar bristle, in appearance as well as feel & function. It sounds from some of the posts here like you've posted previously about these synthetics - could you maybe post up some links to relevant threads for us?

Cheers and keep these great pictures coming. I love 'em! :happy096:

( I like that Molybdenum treatment too!)

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The Burma Shave brush is the direct descendant of the Ever Ready C-40 which was popular in the 1950s and 1960s. When the Burma Vita company was bought out around 1963 by ASR (owned at the time I believe by Phillp Morris) most of the traditional shaving items began to be moved under the Burma Shave banner. By the 1980s only the Burma Shave brush (C-40 rebadged) remained in production.

TGN provides a bleached boar for restorations from time to time smaller than 27 mm. Sometimes they will have a bleached 22 mm you just have to keep and eye on stock levels.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brush-synopsis-generations-updated.33577/

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly for all that info. The link to the original post re synthetics is especially informative. :happy088:

I actually when online last evening and found some bleached 20mm bristle knots from a source called VIG Shaving, but I have no previous knowledge of them. TNG seems to have earned a solid reputation among the online community though and it's good to know that their inventory changes from time to time.

Thanks again for the courteous reply and kudos on the job well done - very handsome indeed!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

8. WetShaveObsession

WetShaveObsession Well-Known Member

If I may a suggestion to add to this list. You can use the clear silicone caulk/adhesive to set your ballast. They key is you do it in stages and dont just fill the entire handle in one shot, otherwise the silicone will never cure in the middle. You do a layer of silicone and set your ballast. allow to sure 24hrs, then another layer of silicone. Allow to cure 24hrs. The silicone does not get hot as it cures, it expands and contracts with changes in temp from brush being exposed to hot and cold water or hot water and cold air etc. It works wonderfully in my experience.

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

Mouser likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Mouser, RaZorBurn123 and Bobcat like this.
  11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shave 6-14-2014 ...

[​IMG]

Mouser, RaZorBurn123 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Planned Shave for 17 August 2014 ...

[​IMG]

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

15 OCtober - Almost half way through with Open Comb October

[​IMG]

wristwatchb, Mouser and 178-bplatoon like this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

For 20 OCtober

[​IMG]

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shave plan for 2 December 2014

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and theFAT98 like this.
  16. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Lovely brush, I really like the way brushes look with much larger knots then they originally had. Great work as usual.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

5 January 2015 Planned Shave

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's what I envision my brush to look like. Gary you did a beautiful job.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

8 January 2015 Planned Shave

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and MoAllen like this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

XVI February MMXV Shave

[​IMG]

wristwatchb and MoAllen like this.