Everready 1914 razor VS Everready 1924 razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Aug 24, 2019.

?

What is your favorite of the two Eveready razors!

1. 1914 Everready razor- aka(LLC or Little lather catcher).

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. 1924 Everready razor-aka (shovel head).

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. or just like using both because they are just great razors & not partial.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Everready 1924 aka (Shovel head)razor MFG 1924-33

Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead mfg 1924-33 (2).jpg

Weight: 2.5 oz (71 grams) with the streamline handle
    Blade Gap: .016 thousands of a inch (.406 mm)
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE
    Blade exposure: Positive
    Material: Head is brass and nickel alloy coated, Handel brass + nickel alloy coated
    Handling: Easy to hold in the hand but needs a little more steeper approach than compared to most Gem razors.
    Use only razor weight or slightly more or it will let you know .

Shave #2 went reasonable well with a lot of confidence with the ER 1924 model, I put the razor into the ER slide maneuvers, “J” hooking maneuvers and buffing also with no problems along with using a good soap(Haslinger Schamilch) Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum block indicating some irritation & no weepers=:)

Shave #3 indicates slightly more aggressive or not as smooth as the ER 1914 IMO. Shave was reasonable all said and still dialing in the razor.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicated some irritation around the jaw line, over shaving more than likely.=:o

Shave #4 Shave was great because I have the ER 1924 dialed in with no issues.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating no irritation =:)

Shave # 5 was a good one and I concluded that I was applying a little to much pressure on 1st couple of shaves because the Razor with my dialed in hand technique are giving desired results.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicating no issues =:)

Shave #6 was excellent with no weeper or nicks, All my passes are 1st WTG + 2nd ATG followed with a clean up pass under the jawline usually. With the right hand technique the razor performs well when dialed in to give my type of shave CCS,DFS,BbS + alum block indicating nothing.=:)

Shave #7 Another great shave that was in my desired range. Arko stick soap gave good protection and the razor did the rest with myself behind the controls.
    Results CCS,DFS,BBS +Alum block indicating no issues =:)

Conclusion: The Everready 1924 razor is a decent razor for giving excellent results and with nice audio feed back while shaving that some of us enjoy.

It can be challenging at first until you dial it in, folks are always opinionated on the first shave results and with this razor it took about 3 shaves to dial it in to my desired results. The side tabs on the base plate for holding down blades from previous generations of blades with out the notch on the side of the modern GEM blades, I bent them slightly forward towards the blade keepers just so the blade seats better IMO with no issues.

You can expect results in the CCS,DFS,BBS range for a medium growth type of beard as my beard is. Buffing and “J” hooking maneuvers with ER slide maneuvers can be handled with ease.

The razor can be used as a daily driver for those who like to shave daily and that is also important razor characteristic with good audio feedback while shaving.

I found the the ER 1924 shovel head razor gave a pleasant shave most of the time with reasonable hand technique and I’m glad to add it to my ever growing collection of razors.(ER 1924 razors can be purchased at a discount price compared to others.)

The razor is a mid range razor with good efficiency.
    Everready 1914 VS Everady 1924 Samsung1 (2).jpg
    Some helpful information for those who have a Everready razor who never received manuals and other information.
    E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif GEM blade grind angles.jpg Gem Blade grind
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    SterFry, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

@mata_66 has finally finished his version 2 & final one and it is a brilliant timeline piece of history with a lot of effort & of course time that was imputed for us just to enjoy for the future. Thanks from all of us who like this type of references!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

PLANofMAN, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not sure I'd say the '24 is gentler than the '14 but 100% agreed.