EverReady nomenclature

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by John Beeman, Jul 13, 2014.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Three EverReady brushes. Left to right: 150 - 150 - C40

The left one and the right one look amazingly similar to me and I'm unable to discern much difference other than the obvious seam around the middle of the C40 handle and the slightly different color of the bristles.

The one in the middle looks like neither of the others but I keep calling it a "150" along with calling the one on the left a "150" as well.

Is the one on the left an I50? Is that the numeral "1" (one) or the letter "I" (as in Idaho)?

Also, if anyone knows, what do the various letters/numbers mean on an EverReady brush.

S8001973.JPG S8001974.JPG

Omelmad likes this.
  2. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

EverReady was inconsistent with their numbering system. I read somewhere that the number may be the suggested retail price, so a 150 would have sold for $1.50, but I don't know for sure.
    I have a white/rootbeer 150E that looks completely different from your three.

John Beeman and GDCarrington like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I read that somewhere also. that the model numbers had more to do with price than identification.
    Gary will be around to clear It up soon, he'll know.

John Beeman and GDCarrington like this.
  4. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Most of the ER model numbers were the suggested retail price, as can be seen in this old retail catalog.

[​IMG]

Fangface, macaronus, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

John Beeman likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is a mixed bag. After 1921 people were extremely fixated with "sterilized" and "pure badger" or "pure bristle" to identify brushes and many simply had the company name and that information only. The depression made it very clear that inflation was at zero or negative values so the number system worked to sell brushes. During the 1930s Ever Ready and Rubberset used a 100 series for brushes selling for $1.00, 150 Series for $1.50 and so on. However, there were exceptions. I have restored an Ever Ready 000 from that time period which may have been a special production model. During WWII brushes were only made in limited quantities for the military. After WWII inflation would not allow for such a numbering convention, so you see C40 series, 1500 series, and so on since the manufacturers were not counting on price to sell alone.

John Beeman likes this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This is all very interesting. I've assumed the knots in the ones I have are the originals (even though they may not be) and I've assumed by their feel that they're boar so the descriptions in the advertisement that Tom provided were fascinating to read (mixed bristles, badger-like blend, badger-like, pure badger, etc.).

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

My 150E is the same style as the No 400-A in that advertisement.