Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at The Blackland razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Interesting finish. Why black oxide over hot bluing? I would think a hot blued finish would be slightly more durable.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

What's the difference between the two?
    I thought bluing was an umbrella term including treatments such as black oxidation.

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Great review! But I like my razors old and shiny.

nunhgrader likes this.
  4. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Bluing and black oxide are widely synonymous save for a few specific kinds of bluing. I imagine you're thinking of hot black oxide vs the cold process which is less durable. The process used here is hot black oxide and meets the military standard for the finish.

macaronus, jakie55 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

TOTALLY agree.:bounce015:

JR Reyes and Tdmsu like this.
  6. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

As I have never paid more than $60 for a razor, the kickstarter prices will be a bit of a leap, but then I am also intrigued with the Mongoose, and am ready to buy a top tier piece. I would even be willing to cull the herd, so to speak, to make room. I will most definitely make a decision in the next few days. I know I really want the razor.... the trick is to justify to SWMBO:D

ShaneS and Darkbulb like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Black oxide is an oxidation process, basically its controlled rusting of the iron or carbon steel its applied to. This dark grey or black "rust" forms a very thin layer on the steel, but because of the low temperatures and less caustic nature it doesn't penetrate the steel very much. This makes it both less durable and less even a finish than hot caustic blueing or Parkerizing.

Hot caustic blueing is also a controlled "rusting" process. In spite of the name it isn't blue, its black. When applied to a highly polished surface the way it reflects light makes it look blue or blue-black. On a matte surface its totally black. The major differences between this and black oxide are its very caustic and corrosive nature, and the high and critical operating temperature it requires. However these requirements also make it vastly superior to any black oxide process done at lower temperatures.

So this razor is, technically, hot blued.

And that's a good thing. :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  8. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks the technical reply! Much appreciated.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    When it's on an assault rifle, it's black oxide...or at least I rarely hear it called hot blued if the rifle's finish is black.

That's the same finish that's on my VZ 58. Now that I think about it, it would be nice to have a matching razor. :)

macaronus, jakie55 and ShaneS like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Aha, thanks. I can now say I learned something new today :)

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This morning's shave report with The Blackland

This morning I didn't really need to shave but I felt that I wanted to (hmm..I seem to struggle with need and want in many areas...razor shopping being one of them).

Lathered up with some Cella. Been a while since I used this soap and it really struck me how good it is. Sure, the scent is a bit on the sweet-candy side of things but 'luckily' my fresh badger knot did its best to cover that up with a bit of wet-dog smell. Oh, and I'm not sure if I can say thanks enough to @clint64 for the work he did on my Rubberset brush...it is just absolutely stunning and has made my L'Occitane Plisson a very sad brush as it have seen zero use since I got this brush.

Oh, the razor?

It was a great shave. I still can't really put my finger on what makes this a different shaver. Something about the angles on the head and how I subsequently angle it against my face.
    I'd still call this a mild razor but extremely efficient. One pass and I was smooth and done.

Something tells me this will get enough use to actually develop some of that personal patina.

[​IMG]

macaronus, jakie55, ShaneS and 6 others like this.
  12. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Soooo...when do we sign up for the passaround?

Drygulch, ShaneS and gorgo2 like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I feel so blessed that I have great selective reading :)

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bump for the visually impaired.

;)

PLANofMAN and Drygulch like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thought some people might enjoy this as a comparison to a number of other modern all-stainless-steel razors.
    Can you name them all? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    macaronus likes this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I can, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

PLANofMAN, Drygulch and Darkbulb like this.
  17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

it is a very nice collection.

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. JR Reyes

From Left to Right...
    Pils
    Blackland (Passaround Razor)
    Tradere
    Wolfman
    Ikon
    Weber
    Weber

How did I do?

macaronus and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, aced it!

macaronus likes this.
  20. JR Reyes

Nice! I like how you Slightly modified the original answer...:D

PLANofMAN, macaronus and Drygulch like this.