Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at The Blackland razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I'll get a new handle in the mail to you today.

Edit: I'll get a new long handle to you when I get them.

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  2. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

That is awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Looks great. Job well done in my opinion and well worth the wait.

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Isnt this a part of the charm?

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

True to character. The original Blackbirds were not beauty queens as far as condition goes. Function over fashion.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Okay. Shave report. Pause.
    That's awesome. Really above and beyond, Shane.

It's a deceptively aggressive razor. I actually managed to cut myself with it in a careless moment. Against the grain over the Adam's apple.

@Darkbulb was spot on in his assessment of this feeling like a '5' on a Gillette Adjustable. It feels a lot like a red tip on the face, as far as blade feel goes. You can tell when you have the angle right, as there is an almost suction cup like sensation of the razor sticking to your face during the stroke. It isn't unpleasant or unmanageable, just very very different.

I'll enjoy dialing this razor in throughout the coming weeks...and this one is a keeper.

As I suspected, the short handle is a bit too short for comfort. It's going in the dopp bag to be used for traveling, but I'll give it a few runs first. I may end up preferring it over the long handle.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Robyflexx, twhite, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Dings don't bother me. There are several on the razor and I do look at those as 'character' marks. This was a divot, as in a good size gouge. I'll try to get a better picture of it.
    [​IMG]
    It's not something that can be sanded away. It goes almost down to the base of the 'U' channel. With that being said, if it had been on a black one, it would be a non-issue, and probably not even noticeable. The fit and finish of all the other pieces of the razor are spectacular.
    Those were prototypes. The production run models are things of beauty. Seriously.

Omelmad likes this.
  7. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yea that isn't part of the character. That's a dent and a mistake on my part. I'll make it right.

Robyflexx, Darkbulb and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. G22inSC

G22inSC Member

Sorry about that. I wasn't referring to the prototypes but the actual SR-71s themselves.

9. obturador

obturador Active Member

@shane, I bought the short handle. Will you make the standalone handles available for purchase?

I'm thinking in case I end up arriving at a similar conclusion.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The brush and razor stand perfectly fit the New Forest 2001 and a Gillette Fatboy. Two items I always keep on my counter. :)
    [​IMG]

11. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    They aren't available on the website, but if you contact me I'll set up a private link to purchase additional handles. The reason they aren't on the website is because they aren't compatible with other razors. I might add them with a disclaimer.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Awesome den shot!

Robyflexx, Darkbulb and PLANofMAN like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Thanks Shane, your stuff fits in very nicely with the overall look I have going in my bathroom.

And let me congratulate you on a successful completion of this project. Well done!

Robyflexx, Darkbulb and ShaneS like this.
  14. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. I'm sorry about your handle, but we'll fix that. I'm glad you like it overall.

Robyflexx, PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  15. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

Thanks for the up to the minute report! I'm glad to hear that you don't find it deceptively mild. As much as I enjoy mild razors, such as the Pils, it's nice to be able to take care of business with some efficiency. Especially a razor inspired by the high performance SR-71: Blackbird.jpg Also thanks for reaffirming my choice of black with the longer handle. I know it's all about personal preference, but your observations are notable.
    The setup looks great in your den.
    Enjoy your Blackbird.

Troy M, clint64, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It's Here!!! The razor looks great, the feel of it in my hand is very nice. The soap smells nice. I'll try them both out late tonight, as I'm getting up early to go to the Peach Bowl with my son and my brother. Go 'Noles
    image.jpg image.jpg

Troy M, clint64, Darkbulb and 3 others like this.
  17. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Looking forward to your opinion!

cmorris357 likes this.
  18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Congratulations, eagerly awaiting your impressions. :)

clint64, Darkbulb and cmorris357 like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I didn't find the grooves in the handle bothersome at all. In fact, I didn't even notice them during the shave. I suspect the higher level of precision in the machining and finishing process made them more comfortable to hold over the pre-production models.

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I didn't try the soap yet, but I really like the scent. Any chance of that being something other than a Kickstarter exclusive?

Darkbulb and ShaneS like this.