Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at The Blackland razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Great review! Fantastic looking razor as well!

After looking at the website something hits me as odd. Just would feel not quite right buying a razor designed by a guy with a full beard. Not meaning anything bad by the product but if King Gillette looked like a one of the Duck Dynasty guys. Do you think Great Grandpas would have bought one?

Darkbulb and ShaneS like this.
  2. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Haha that photo is kind of a tongue in cheek joke. I make reference to it in my first blog post. I'm clean-shaven now though and I suppose it's probably a good idea to show that. I'll change it tonight.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  3. Blauer Max

Blauer Max Well-Known Member

Pleased to be number 44 of "Early bird special - razor and box - $155"!

ShaneS likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Very cool - looks like there's five left at the early-bird lower price.

Blauer Max likes this.
  5. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks again! Darkbulb is right, only 5 early birds left.

Blauer Max likes this.
  6. Brian_Powers

Brian_Powers Well-Known Member

Man, this thing is gorgeous. It's been a long time since I've been excited about a new razor and this may be the one to get me there.

7. 1passjoe

1passjoe New Member

Awesome looking razor!

8. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

I am in, so all the best of luck Shane!

9. Brian_Powers

I just got the time to look at the Blackland Kickstarter. Now I feel obliged to give because they're based about 30 minutes away from me!

10. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hey! Where are you located? Loving this ridiculous monsoon season?

Btw, only two early bird razors left!

11. Brian_Powers

I'm in Logansport and actually plan to start at Purdue in the fall semester. This rain is getting ridiculous!!! I'll hop on it next week if they're still available. If not, I'll still back and then will just have to order one when they're open to general public!

ShaneS likes this.
  12. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    You're on your way in and we're on our way out! Thanks for your support and boiler up!

Also, the early bird razors are now gone, but we still have a really great early bird package deal with one head, both handles, box, and razor/brush stand. Thank you to everyone who got in on the early bird razors!

Darkbulb and Brian_Powers like this.
  13. Blauer Max

Blauer Max Well-Known Member

I'd prefer handles with a lenght between 75 mm to 85 mm, if it's possible.
    IMHO the perfect lenght for the short handle would be 75 mm or 80 mm, specially 80 mm.
    What do you thing?
    I think would be interest voting a poll among the kickstarters.
    Your razor is amazing. I hope your Blackbird came true.

ShaneS likes this.
  14. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    A medium option of around 85mm is on the table for the future. I chose to go with short and long for simplicity's sake and cost effectiveness for now.

Blauer Max likes this.
  15. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    MattCB and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great interview and aww shucks I got a mention :)

17. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Was fun doing the interview with you Shane. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with :)

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

A very interesting review of a very interesting razor.

MattCB likes this.
  19. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Big update today. I have decided to end the current Kickstarter campaign. My pricing is too high, as many on this forum have warned. If I want to be successful down the road, my retail pricing needs to be significantly lower. I could go forth with the campaign and drop the price afterwards, but that would mean that my most loyal supporters would pay more than retail for the same product. Obviously that is unacceptable. Out of respect for those who have backed already, I will be relaunching on August 1st at significantly reduced pricing. The razor itself will not change at all, but the box will be eliminated, margins will be trimmed, and I will seek a lower goal.

It wasn’t easy to reach this decision, but I think it is the best way forward for all involved. I take full responsibility for my poor judgement and my stubbornness in ignoring price concerns expressed by forum members. I hope you’ll accept my apology and consider supporting a more affordable Blackbird in August.

For a more formal version of what I just said, please read my letter in my recent blog post. www.blacklandrazors.com/blog

Shane

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I doubt anyone will mind pushing this out for a month or two in return for having the same razor - for a lower price! :)

macaronus, Slow Joe, clint64 and 2 others like this.