Experience with Preshave Oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by chrisf8657, Aug 11, 2015.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

Hi guys,

I thought I'd share my experience so far with Pre-shave oil. I first tried it when starting out (Taconic Pre-shave oil) I had read about it but it didn't seem to help, but I think that was because I wasn't using it right or had bad lather, or even not paying attention. So there it lingered on my counter unused.

Because I wanted to make sure I didn't get irritation everytime, I tried Proraso White Preshave and it doesn't seem to add anything, it seems like more of a aftershave rather than a preshave. About the only thing it does is numb the skin...and the overwhelming smell of Camphor isn't my thing.

Long story short, after paying close attention to with and without PS oil, what I have found that using a generous amount, but not too much, on my neck in the second (XTG) and third (ATG) passes has left pretty much no irritation, unless you really swipe at some areas like I have a tendency to do.

I think Pre shaving oil helps greatly. The only problem is it's oil - so it leaves your hands feeling oily, and you face to an extent - but it's good oils that are non-comodegenic, so it's OK.

PS - Don't pay $15+ for it. Maggard Razors has their own "house brand" shaving oil for $8 each. Contains 5 different oils, including Avocado. Great stuff! Some members are making their own for cheaper, but you have to be careful here - the oils will go bad before you use it all. Some of the oils are only good for 3-6 months.

Also, if your shave routine works good as it is with no unusual irritation, don't bother with using it.

Of course - YMMV.

SHAVEWIZARD420, gmaugie007 and Tdmsu like this.
  2. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

for me, PSO pays off also.

i've conducted a few weeks of mini-focus trials ... all the same tools and one week with PSO and one week without PSO. i've found that the closeness of my shave is very near the same with and without. however, without the PSO, i'm just a bit more prone to a scrape or nick or weeper ... nothing major but just the tiniest of bloodletting experiences that cold water and alum block seal right up. with PSO, i'm almost always in real good shape!

like this morning ... fresh batch of PSO from just this past weekend, new crystal blade in my EJ89, and bigelow/proraso cream ... ausgezeichnet!!!

i have not tried any retail PSOs. i've only been wetshaving for a little over six months. somewhere in the second or third month, i came across the 'make your own PSO' thread. i've tried a handful of different formulas and am pretty happy with my current mix. i enjoy making it. it smells great. it does a fine job, and i'm sure it costs way less than store-bought.

the only issue i have with PSO ... while it forms a nice, protective layer for the blade, it also is a layer between the face and the lather. so, the scent of the lather does not penetrate the skin and 'stay with me' as long as when i go without PSO. for instance, over the past few weeks, i've tried a few new soaps/creams. i have a total crush on Tabac and T&H Rose. sometimes, i'll go without PSO ... almost welcoming a scrape or two ... just so the scent will linger longer into the day.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Perhaps try washing the preshave off before lathering? That's my preferred method.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

This is a good example of different outcomes for different folks.

I've tried preshave oils a few times now and feel no need to try them again. I splash some water on my face and let the moisture take effect, then use that time to whip up superb lather.

If anything, I've found that preshave oils contribute to blade sticking and to lather collapse thus making irritation more likely.

5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I am one of those crazy guys that made some DIY pre shave oil but I found I prefer pre shave soap much more. it doesn't put a film on my sink and make a mess like the oil does.

now I use it to put a light coat on the blade before shaving so It doesn't make a mess this way.

6. Jeremy Crossland

Jeremy Crossland New Member

I tried pre-shave oil for the first time and I found that it was almost dangerous slick; I shave my head and I haven't nicked my self in close to a year until that shave which resulted in three significant nicks

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm not a huge fan of preshave oil but I will use it occasionally. @TheSoapExchange has a very nice one that I like.

TheSoapExchange likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Tried it but I guess it really is one of those very subjective things as for me it didn't do much and can't see myself really pursuing it as something that will add to my shaving experience.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've found I only use it for my str8 shaves for a little additional slickness and glide.

10. Jeremy Crossland

Jeremy Crossland New Member

I'll check it out; I am always interested in trying to new options, but don't really like to gouge my bald head. I used dreadnaught before.

I'm using a parker with shark blades and love that combo; I am yet to try the straight razor.

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

ma1999 likes this.