F.W. Engels Special... Short?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Exodusjpg, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Exodusjpg

Exodusjpg New Member

Hello everybody!

I've been shaving with a shavette for almost a year and I've decided to take the plunge into the straight razor world. I'm also a hobbyist woodworker, so I decided to pick up a few blades that would need varying degrees of restoration. What could possibly go wrong!?!

The first one I picked up was a F.W. Engels Special. I saw a thread or two here on them, and they seem to be pretty descent. One thing I noticed about this blade is it's shorter than what I assumed is a typical 3" blade. Every picture I've seen of a Special, it's a 3" blade, but this one is approximately 1 7/8".

Did I pick up a "customized" blade? Or was this something more common? Just curious if anybody could give me some information on it. I've done a bit of looking and can't seem to find anything

Thanks in advance!

fwe.jpg

-John

2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Most likely, the blade broke and somebody tried to salvage what was left. That's what it looks like to me...

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Karl G, M14Shooter, Exodusjpg and 3 others like this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Yep. A shorty. Ive done that to 3 blades nowadays. They work fine. Can help to get in the hollows of the neck easier. Go for it.

Karl G, gssixgun, Exodusjpg and 2 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yep, what they said. Definitely a shorty.

Karl G and Exodusjpg like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Probably chipped at the end of the blade and the easiest thing to do to salvage it was to shorten the blade.

Karl G and Exodusjpg like this.
  6. Exodusjpg

Exodusjpg New Member

Awesome! Thanks y'all!

Karl G likes this.