Face Latherers Assemble!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gorgo2, Aug 1, 2015.

?

If you facelather, how often?

1. Always!

55.8%
  2. Almost always/usually/more often than not.

36.5%
  3. Seldom/rarely.

7.7%
  1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Okay, the title is dumb. But can we get a headcount on who all facelathers here and how often? Just another curiosity/timewaster thread. :)

bnccna2, Rufus T., ARGH and 3 others like this.
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I tend to face lather most of the time unless making uberlather or adding menthol glycerin. I guess it is possible to do that with a face lather, but bowl lathering would be easier in those situations. I prefer face lathering because the soap/cream has had more time on the skin, and it seems easier to control the soap/water ratio.

gorgo2, Jayaruh and Dzia Dzia like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I face lather all the time using both creams and soaps. It's easier and more enjoyable for me. I also consider it to be a necessary part of my pre-shave routine.

If you bowl lather, you are simply doing it wrong. :happy097::happy102::rofl:

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've discovered I really enjoy the face-lathering process vs the bowl-whip method. I've two scuttles lying dormant ever since I got on the FL kick about a year or more ago.
    For years, I was strictly a 'lather-in-the-bowl' guy, but when I was diagnosed with CTS and had limited use of one hand for about a year and a half, I then switched to face-lathering as it was easier to accomplish with a single hand.
    Come winter time, I may break out the scuttles though. Warm lather on a cold frosty morn is a real temptation….:p

5. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Always, soaps and creams. Bowl lathered my first month or so, then watched a Mantic59 video, and haven't used the bowl since.

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think it was a video by GeoFatboy that got me started on face lathering. I believe it was his video on The Five Minute Shave.

7. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I have or have tried most of the big players pottery. I will not give up my Scwarzweisskeramik or Georgetown scuttles. I will face lather but only about 6 times a year.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've put away my bowls and broke my scuttle and only face lather now. I also scalp lather when I shave my head every few days.

gorgo2 and Jayaruh like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I started wet shaving I was strictly a bowl lathering dude. After I figured out what I was doing I started face lathering and haven't went back, I also have a GeorgeTown G20 that is sitting in a box.

gorgo2, Bama Samurai and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've discovered I really like face lathering too. I do it more often than not now

gorgo2 and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Always....my old lather bowl has found a new life holding all my tubes of cream.:happy088:

12. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I've face lathered exclusively for three years. That's with soaps, creams and with boar or badger brushes.

Weeper Warrior and gorgo2 like this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I always bowl lather or if it's cold I use a scuttle. I've already had my illusions shattered by the Stirling synthetic brush. I'm afraid if I try face lathering I'll like it too. A man can only have so many paradigm shifts in one week.

14. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

I tried face lathering but have been unable to get a lather I like so I use a bowel. Then again still new to building a lather and Im getting the ratio down.

Jayaruh and gorgo2 like this.
  15. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I always face leather. I don't own a mug.

16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm not rubbing any bowels on my face. :sick007: You really need to have a talk with your autocorrect.:)

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I'm an 80-20 favoring face lathering.
    Part of the reason for that is, quite honestly, that bowl lathering adds more mess [for me].

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Every day, every soap type. Cold water. I prefer Plisson Synthetic above all for this.

19. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I always face lather. I enjoy the feeling of it, and am able to make much better lather than in a bowl. Though I'm sure the latter is just a matter of what I have the most practice with.

20. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I began wet shaving in May this year using Arko in a bowl. Within a few days, having read a few threads on here about lathering, I switched to face lathering and haven't turned back.

I have even rubbed the puck on my face and then lathered. (tip of the cap to @CyanideMetal - "Rub the puck on your face!" and to @Bama Samurai for unwrapping the mystery that is Williams soap.)

I do admit (a la @HolyRollah ) come the "8 months of darkness" that is the Pacific Northwest autumn and winter, I will be tempted many times by the warmness of the scuttle temptress!