Face Latherers Assemble!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gorgo2, Aug 1, 2015.

?

If you facelather, how often?

1. Always!

55.8%
  2. Almost always/usually/more often than not.

36.5%
  3. Seldom/rarely.

7.7%
  1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

When I shave in the morning I always face lather. It takes less time and I find it to be a superior way to prep my beard for shaving.

When I shave in the evening I like to take my time and enjoy the moment. And since part of that enjoyment is building lather, I prefer to do that in a bowl. I like to watch the transformation from suds to foam to lather, if that makes any sense.

Chuck F, gorgo2 and Rufus T. like this.
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Raising my hand & Squirming in my seat - "I know, I know"

How I do it is this:
    Load the brush with soap
    use glycerin as you would use a pre-shave oil, but heavier if you can
    dab some cream on different areas of your face
    Lather

This works real well for me

gorgo2, rmcintyre84 and Rufus T. like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Okay, okay.. So I did my first face lather and here are my thoughts. While not Earth shattering it wasn't disappointing either. I can see how it saves time and clean up, but I'm not ready to throw away my mugs and scuttles. It's another arrow in my quiver for those times when I'm in a hurry or just tired or especially for traveling, but I enjoy the ritual as I learned it at my grandfathers side.

gorgo2, Rufus T. and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Rufus,

I admire your sense of exploration and open-mindedness. You never know until you know.
    Peace.

Rufus T. likes this.
  5. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like to face lather with good soaps but with crèmes I tend to make it in a scuttle. I find that if I load the brush on the slightly dry side then really get my face wet and swirl the brush very vigorously the lather will get thicker and thicker.Then I use the swiping motion to cover the face with lather evenly. I don't like a real thick dry lather. For me I get a much better shave with a wet lather even if it is a little thin ( but thin is easy to fix if need be)

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

I personally don't see a difference between face and bowl lathering. I'm a face latherer and I get as much good a lather on face as I do in a bowl.

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

There is another way to get an Uber-lather while face lathering. This may, or may not work well for you. I learned it from someone who wanted a pre-shave oil as well as super lather.

Load the brush
    dribble some glycerin onto the brush or dip the brush in a small separate container of glycerin (you want the brush loaded first, or else the glycerin tends to make the brush brush not want to load)
    dab some cream on your face
    build your lather

9. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I always face lather. You can do all the super lather BS on your face with your brush if you want. I also find that you can tell how the lather is going to be on your face better. I always find that when it's pretty in a bowl, it's too thin on my face.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

In my experience, the difference between the two lathers (face vs bowl-made) isn't significant. The advantage of face-lathering is the invigorating 'face & whisker massage' one receives.
    With bowl lathering, the lather is, generally speaking, simply applied to the face with the brush. In face-lathering, the brush movement is more determined and often more vigorous—which I find adds to the quality of the shaving experience.

11. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

I've only been using soap and a brush since mid-June...and I've ALWAYS face lathered!!!

Realistically, my face is always there and I don't really have room for a bowl.

Enjoy the ride,
    Jay

clint64 and Weeper Warrior like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I face lather except the days I feel like warm lather, then I'll use the scuttle. Not too much of that lately with the warm weather in SE Texas.

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I initially wanted a synthetic brush for travel for quicker drying. After reading GDCarrington's excellent write-up on synthetics, I purchased an H.I.S. Synthetic. It is so superior at face lathering, I never even get my bowl out anymore.

14. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Always! I cannot think of a way I'd go back to a bowl. I specifically appreciate the instant feedback from face-lathering.

15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Can't remember when I last bowl lathered. Not as satisfying!

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Unless one is satisfied with a heaping mound of bowl-created lather!
    This does have some merit! :D

Norseman likes this.
  17. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I have never been able to get a good lather out of a bowl. I use Williams and I've always gotten amazing results face lathering it with an older 1st gen nylon brush. Maybe I'll Change my mind once I start using other soaps and cremes. I'll find out after tomorrow when My Prorazo comes in.

18. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Bowl lather when i test a soap/cream for my Blog,then it's time for photos
    Face lather when i have to save time or i choose a Synthetic brush.