Factory Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by oscar11, Jan 22, 2019.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I appreciate the intent to stick with what you know you enjoy. For me, that has turned into using up what I have and only replacing stuff with the 3 or 4 soaps that I enjoy most and fit into my definition of a good value.

There are a few soaps I haven't tried that fit into that definition, but I'll try them one at a time as I run out of others, and preferably via samples.

Over the past few years I've realized that with so many options available, you have to come up with your own ways of limiting choice. Otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy trying to choose, and even after the choice is made, wondering whether or not it was the wrong choice.

2. johnwick

johnwick New Member

Don’t forget the Haslinger! Wonderful old school soap for me!

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You know, I haven’t done the calculations but I’m thinking maybe that’s true for me too.
    Kind of hard to imagine having my soap stash outlive me but it is what it is.

Hmmm... you know, I’ll probably end up leaving some blades behind too. And maybe some aftershave. Yeah, there’ll definitely be some aftershave left over too.

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

@John Beeman
    Think that we're all in the same boat. :angry017: :angry019:

Redrock and John Beeman like this.
  5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I am kinda sorta going in a different direction than @oscar11 . However, I can see his rationale. Buying artisan soaps can be tricky when comparing them to solid performers like Tabac, MWF, Proraso, TOBS, etc, etc. Right now I am mainly using Jabonman, Shaver Heaven, and Long Rifle. I still have the others available and use on occasion. Especially the MWF.

PatrickA51, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not exactly pertaining to soap, since "artisan" is meaningless these days...

Artisan generally means made in small batches by one person, in a home environment.

Factory means made in large batches, usually by a group of people, in a facility reserved for that purpose.

Wolf Whiskers brushes = Artisan (hand turned and made one at a time)
    Omega brushes = Factory (mass produced)

Edit: I find it amusing when people call factory soaps 'artisan'. Case in point, Saponifico Varisino. Though fairly new to the shaving soap scene, they have been making soap for over 50 years, and are most definitely a factory soap, with facilities to match. Ditto for Razorock soaps. Barrister and Mann is what I would consider the upper limit for 'artisan,' and even they are starting to get into factory production levels.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Good point.:happy088:

brit likes this.
  8. PatrickA51

I would have to disagree I would say Razorock and Barrister and Mann are more of a factory soap. But then I would classify any soap made by @Salty Bell an artisan soap. Or most of the shaving soaps sold on Etsy.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/644404...ps&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&organic_search_click=1

Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  10. PatrickA51

Oops I should proof read my post a little better. I don't know why I said that I disagree. That's what I get for not proof reading and trying to eat and post on the forum at the same time. Instead of eating a bowl of Mac-N-Cheee maybe I should have eaten a bowl of crow? :angry017: :angry019: :rolleyes005: :shocked002: :shaver

Linuxguile, Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have 3 pucks of Stirling soap, tub of TOBS and 2 cans of Barbasol I'm working on using up.

When I use these up I'll buy only then.

12. brit

brit in a box

thats it?

Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  13. PatrickA51

I got more soap pucks than what I know to do with. Maybe one of these days I will so few shaving soap pucks that I will need to order some more.

Redrock and Frijolero like this.
  14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Razorock is neither. They don't make soap. Whether a given tub is artisan or factory would depend on who actually made it. TFS does make some of them. Others I have no idea. They don't tell us. Some of their offerings may well be artisan-made.

Redrock, PatrickA51 and oscar11 like this.
  15. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

I buy one or two artisan pucks a year. Try em out for a while the toss em. Nice change.

It seems people and artisans focus on easy to lather and post shave feel in their soaps. The first I have never had a problem with on any soap. The second reason I just don’t understand. Are you really butchering your face that bad that you need some mojo in your soap in addition to your post shave routine? Focus on your technique and your “post shave feel” will improve no matter what soap you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nav, Redrock, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don’t know about Taconic but Stirling is not only artisan, it’s superbly artisan. :)

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

/In the future, when @PatrickA51 eats and reads posts at the same time, we must end each post with, "If you didn't proofread this, you didn't see it".

Redrock, PatrickA51 and Frijolero like this.
  18. Paul Turner

I second the motion by the Ambassador.

Yehuda D and Frijolero like this.
  19. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thank you kind sir!

Frijolero, PatrickA51 and Paul Turner like this.
  20. Paul Turner

You're welcome. As we know, there aren't enough good things to say about Stoylin.

Frijolero and PatrickA51 like this.